20- Day out

RED POV

It was past three in the morning when a loud bang woke me up from my deep slumber. My head snapped up from Siana’s lap as I looked at the door. I felt my friend stir beside me as she opened her eyes to look at the commotion. My sisters walked into the apartment clothe less. Their bodies were full of dirt, scratches and cuts from the forest and probably from each other.

I sat up quickly and ran to get them some clean clothes. After they got dress I went into the kitchen to heat the leftover food from last afternoon. Jessica followed me in while Jimhaya sat beside Siana in the living room quietly talking to each other.

“Hey sis” Jess grinned. I continued doing my chore without answering. Sensing something was not right with me she walked around the counter “Hey what’s wrong?”

“How could you?” I said as I turned around and slammed my hands on the counter. My sister was looking at me with a shocked expression and completely confused to what I was referring. “Guess who came to say hello tonight? Dad. Imagine my surprised when I saw him sitting on the front steps. He said you told him where to find us. How long have you been talking to him?”

“The day before the tryouts” my sister replied.

“Why?”

“Because he is our father. I don’t know about you but I still love him.” Jess said angrily “In case you forgot, but he is family. Yes, I told him where to find you because he wanted to know how you were doing. Yes I started talking to him because I forgave him for his behavior. Damnit Jazzy, didn’t you see him? He needs us and I want him back into our lives”

I was speechless while my sister took a deep breath to calm herself. Siana and Jamie were looking at us from the sofa.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” I asked her.

“Because you would have chosen Jamie over him, and you still do. I wouldn’t be able to convince you that dad is ready to change but I knew he had a chance.”

I passed my hands through my hair in exasperation. I mumbled a sorry before I embraced my sister tightly and she hugged with as much need. The ding of the microwave tore us apart and I looked into Jessica’s icy blue eyes.  I got the warm plates from the microwave and placed them on the counter before my twins. Jessica told us about her and Jamie’s night in the forest and I told her about my encounter with dad.

“I almost forgot, mom is coming tomorrow, well, today, for a family shopping day” I said with a sly smile. My sisters groaned in fatigue.

 “I have not seen mom in such a long time” Jess sighed. We all went to bed, Jess slept in my room and Siana slept in Jamie’s room.

-  

Morning came fast. It was completely impossible to wake the other girls up so when mom arrived bright and early, I was the only one in the kitchen drinking coffee in my pajamas. She eyed me up and down disapprovingly before giving me her winning smile.

“Good morning sweetie” she said happily. She came to kiss my forehead before serving herself some coffee. “Nobody’s up?” I shook my head. “Okay then, we are going wait a little before waking those rascals up alright? Now tell me what’s new, I want to hear everything”

The girls slowly woke and joined us into the kitchen. Jessica was ecstatic to see mom again and even Jamie hugged her, which never happened before. We enjoyed our company while mom made breakfast and telling us the plan for the day.

“Can Siana come?” Jamie asked once we were ready to leave.

“Sure honey” she said patting Jamie’s hair.