10- Morning after

“Siana, wake up. Come on wake up” a deep voice said above me. I groaned and sank deeper into the warmth of my cocoon bed. “WAKE UP” My covers were ripped off my body. I yelped as I was shoved to the ground.

“What the hell, old man?” I said trying to get up. My foster father was standing over me with his hands on his hips.

“Well, you wouldn’t wake up. Now come on we are going for breakfast in town”

“Why?” I asked harshly. He looked a little hurt for asking that question and it instantly made me feel bad.

“We have not spent much time together since the Hundales arrived and I want to know about your summer so far.” He whined. When I finally got up I walked to him and gave him a small peck on his cheek.

“Alright dad, let me get dressed” After hearing the ‘D’ word, the principal's face lit up like a candle flame. He laughed and hugged my tightly.

“I love it when you call me dad” He started hopping around my room like an idiot rehearsing ‘I’m a daddy, I’m a daddy’. I shook my head and made my way to the bathroom with my clothes to get dressed in peace. It was rare that I called him dad even after he adopted me. Don’t get me wrong, I love that old jester to bits but I was not the feely type and calling him dad reminded me of to many sad memories. I think I’m scared that if I start calling him dad, he’ll leave me like my real one did all those years ago.

When I entered my room, M.P had stopped bouncing around but he kept back strait and had the biggest grin on his face. He walked like an exaggerated happy man, moving his shoulders up and down for effect.

“Alright old man, I know you’re happy but stop. Can you walk normally?” I asked him.

“Nope” he said as he popped his ‘p’. “I got a new joke for you though” The principal has an addiction for jokes. The worst the joke is the better.

“Listen to this” he said. “The economy's bad, so a man’s cousin texted his wedding invitations. The man texted back his cousin with a picture of a gift.” He laughed as If it was the funniest joke in the world. “You know: Two can play this game.” He said in between laughs. I joined him after a few seconds while we made our way out of the school. It wasn’t funny at all.

When we arrived at the small café, we went to our usual table by the window. I told him about my summer and about the triplets. He whined about his boring job and all the reunions he had to attend before school starts again. Summer school was about to end as well so the students were in their final exams.

“So, which one do you like?” M. P asked me.

“What?”

“The Hundale sisters. Which one do you like?” he repeated.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I said stupidly. I should never try to keep something from a guy who knows me inside out.

“Sure you do. This whole time you were talking about your summer, you never once mentioned sleeping with another girl, and that is very uncharacteristic of you. And please don’t tell me it’s that Jessica girl. You know how I hate love triangles”

“Everyone ends up getting hurt I know. You told me many times” I joked. “But no, it’s not her.”  I looked outside the window. “It’s Jimhaya” I said.

“The unstable one?” I nodded, still refused to look at my foster father. I felt a little guilty because he asked me to look after her and kill her if she brought any danger into town. I didn’t want him to think any less of me because of this. After a few seconds on unbearable silence, M.P let out a deep long whistle.