chapter seven

Harry

I quickly stand up, Zayn's eyes following me as I did so. It felt like time had frozen, standing still before us. Even if he were standing a few feet away, just being this close sent tremors and chills down my spine. My heart was racing painfully in my chest making me feel like I was almost out of breath. That wasn't too far from the truth.

Inside, I was on the mere end of an outburst of emotions.

Zayn on the other hand looked completely cool. Like he wasn't just standing right in front of his ex lover this close after a few years of nothing. His hands were shoved inside of his jacket pocket, curled into fists I could tell by the way the pockets put out. His shades hiding his eyes making it hard to see what his eyes were doing and a small smirk plastered over his lips.

And as much as I wanted to hate this man, I just couldn't. He was still just as gorgeous as he was before, maybe even more now. He still had that part of my heart he ripped apart and took with him. I felt so empty, a huge half of my heart was missing. I couldn't be whole anymore without him. Maybe that's why my heart ached for him. It wanted that part of it back so it could be whole again.

But I couldn't be thinking like this, it was wrong. Zayn was the enemy now right? Nothing would ever be the same anymore and it will never go back to the way it was before. I shake myself out of my deep thoughts, coming back to reality. My heart skips a beat Zayn takes a step closer, reaching up to pull off his shades. I gasp once his eyes are revealed and I finally get to look into them.

But they weren't the same.. Cold pale blue eyes stared back at me.

Not the warm brown ones I was used to.. The ones that I fell in love with.

Zayn's smirk widens, "Missed me, Harry?"

I almost went under under cardiac arrest at the sound of my name rolling off his lips. I didn't think I could talk, I could barely remember to breathe. I had to force the breath in and out of me, before I passed out from lack of air. My chest was so tight I thought it might crush my rib cages.

"What's wrong? Cat got your tongue?" Zayn asks, tilting his head. I open my mouth to speak, but I am entirely speechless. I was only able to utter one word, a word that now felt like poison in my mouth.

"Z-Zayn.."

"That's me baby." He winks. I swallow thickly, taking a step back not saying anything as I try to control my malfunctioning heart. This gives Zayn the time to let his eyes roam, scanning up and down my body. I suddenly feel self conscious and exposed at his wandering eyes. I wrap my arms around my exposed stomach, covering as much as I could. This had to have been the worst day to choose to wear a crop top. A sly smile creeps across his face. "Still as beautiful as I remember you."

I thought my ears were playing tricks on me, but I knew those words came right from his mouth as I watched his lips move. What was he even playing at? I already know he didn't just come over here to compliment me. And no matter how much I wanted it to be the reason, I knew it wasn't and I couldn't let him do that. He had no right. Not after all he did.

"D-don't say that.." I say, wanting to punch myself for not being able to really say anything. A taunting smile comes to view on Zayn's face.

"Last time I checked Harry, I was in charge here." He says, voice deep with a slightly hidden seductive tone to it. I knew where he was getting at and it made me so angry. Everything about him made my body heated. I unravel my arms from around me and clench my fists. "I can say what I please."