chapter thirty one

Harry

Zayn lead me over to where the huge oak tree used to be. The same oak tree where we shared our first words to one another, before the tree was destroyed during the explosion. Now all the resided there was a stomp. Just several feet away was the playground where some kids were playing, being chaperoned by nearby parents. Laughter, chatter and screams echoed through the park making this a little bit more relaxing than it should've been.

Fully reaching the destination, Zayn sits down right next to the stomp leaning his back against it. He sits with his legs straightened out in front of him and his arms crossed. He pays the spot next to him indicating for me to sit there. I press my lips together, slowly lowering myself to the ground and sitting a little ways away from him. Even underneath that hidden face, I could see a small hint of hurt in his eyes that I had chose to sit so far from him. It was obviously a sign of distrust, but exactly how did he expect me to feel after everything that's happened? I couldn't just go back to trusting him at the slightest bit of kindness.

But I mostly feared that trusting him so soon would only end up getting my heart broken again.

For a few moments we sit in silence, listening to the life around us of the kids playing and the parents talking. The wind was solemnly blowing, adding a little coolness to our heated bodies, though I didn't know how much Zayn could actually get out of it with that outfit on. If he weren't literally immune to heat, being the fire breather he was, I'd say he'd burn to a crisp in this heat. Zayn doesn't bother taking off the hood, and to which I get a little more confused as to why we were here in the first place. He told me he wanted to be in a more private area, and then dragged me to one of the most public places he could think of. Or maybe he just needed a reason to take me here. But why here? He could've taken me anywhere but here... There were too many memories that came with this place.

The longer Zayn stays quiet to more anxious and agitated I become. I clutch my hands together in my lap, before clearing my throat.

"We didn't come out here just to sit in the sun, did we?" I asked bitterly, not meaning to sound that way but I couldn't help it. I wanted for him to open his mouth and speak, that's the sole purpose we were here together now. Not to just sit in silence. The anticipation was killing me every passing second. Zayn turns his head to look at me, and I could barely make out a small sigh passing through his lips.

"No." He replies.

"Then talk, I wanna know what is so important." I say. Zayn nods. He takes off his hood, revealing his face once again, and I try not get blown away by his looks. I try to ignore that way his olive skin glows in the sun light, and how there is not a single drop of sweat in sight on his body. His brown eyes appeared to sparkle and they had this light to them that I hadn't seen in such a long time. They weren't dark or void, but healthy and full of life. What had made them so lifeless before?

"I know you want an explanation," He starts as he turns his whole body to face me so that we sit directly across from one another. He cross crosses his legs just like mine, making my heart flutter as another memory flashes through my mind at the familiar position we were in. I blink rapidly to rid it from my mind. Now just wasn't the time to think about it. "So, I'm going to give you one."

"Do it then.."

"But Harry, you have to have an open mind about what I'm about to tell you." He says. I frown, wondering what he was going on about.