chapter forty three

Zayn

I stay perched up on the semi tall building in a frog like position on the ledge. It was hot outside but I wasn't surprised that I hadn't broke into a sweat yet. I was used to high temperatures considering I had literal fire inside me waiting to be released. Although I did get hot at times, I was usually resistant to the heat, which was definitely a pro. My all black attire made me appear to be somewhat of a ninja, which is practically what I had become over the past a couple of months. I haven't been using my powers like I used to. I felt as though they caused so much destruction and I didn't want to go down that path again. So I have been more reliant on my physical ability and my stealthiness.

I had improved very greatly in that area. Not being seen nor heard upon approaching anyone, which is exactly what I wanted. It always gave me the upper hand.

Anyways, I'd been perched atop this building not just for nothing, but just so that I could simply watch Harry. As creepy as it sounds, I've always felt the need to watch him at times just for the sake of knowing he was safe. I could tell he was falling a little off his game because of all the distractions lately and I just wanted to be that back bone for him when he needed someone. Even though he has his friends, I felt as if I could do so much more for him. They were currently engaged in fighting a few crooks who also seemed to have abilities of their own. Right in the heart of a memorial park. As hard as they tried to keep everything in tact for the sake of the city, some things still managed to get damaged or destroyed by the crooks.

Every time I watched him in battle, I had this strong urge to intervene because I knew I could put it to a stop. It wasn't me being cocky about my abilities, it was me knowing what I could do with my abilities. It felt like the team struggled so much more now because they weren't exactly working as a team. I could understand there was a lot of tension due to Harry and Liam's recent break up, but it still shouldn't affect the way that they work together. But I could tell it was. I looked as the fight continued, people around them screaming, some running, and some even standing around doing nothing while they recorded.

I clutched my fists against the cement beneath me, wanting this to be over with soon before I had made a stupid decision to get involved. I had promised myself I wouldn't get involved unless he was in real danger. He was handling himself pretty well, but I still couldn't shake the angry feeling inside me. I don't know why. I didn't exactly have the right to feel this overwhelming protectiveness over him anymore, but I did. It was just like before when I was apart of the team. Whenever we went on missions, I always kept an eye on him, even when he didn't need me. We looked out for each other and we worked together in perfect harmony.

But seeing him hurt or potentially being hurt, kills me. He wasn't even mine yet just the thought of him being hurt physically pains me. Ever since I came back to my senses, all I could think about was him. He was really the last thing I had left of who I was before.

Not only that, but he was the last person I loved before I went off the deep end. And I didn't want to let that go...

Finally after what felt like forever, they were finally able to gain control of the situation and bring them down. It made me less tense to know it was over. I watched at the SWAT team rolled in and obtaining them, putting the bad guys in special cuffs that prevent them from using their powers and loaded them onto a very secured van that was made to contain people with such abilities. Harry regrouped with the guys and they stood there talking. Of course I couldn't hear them, being at this distance, but I didn't really care about that. As long as Harry was well. I got off the ledge of the building and jumped carefully down the side, scaling the building until my feet touched the ground silently, then I peaked around the corner, deciding that maybe it was time for me to go. I could always just call Harry and talk to him anyways.

That was until I saw a dark figure standing under the shadows of a tree in the vicinity where Harry was with the others. I narrowed my eyes slightly wondering who that could be. I found it very suspicious of someone to just be standing there unmoving, their eyes clearly set on the four heroes. Something wasn't right, I could feel it deep within me. This wasn't just some ordinary person, they were there for a reason. And I didn't like it one bit, especially if Harry was involved. I needed to see who this person was. I kept watch as the group finally started to leave the memorial park after talking with some of the police and investigators. They got into the car and sped off. The figure's eyes followed them up until they left. Something was definitely up. I clench my fists slightly starting to approach the figure as their back is turned. Once I reach them, I roughly grab them by the collar and slam him against the tree.

"Who are you?" I demanded. I could finally see that it was a male which I had already figured. He was wearing a snap back, the rest of his body covered in black. I could only see his mouth as the hat on his head created a shadow over his eyes. He reaches up to grip my hands that are gripping onto his jacket.

"Tell me who you are first, it's only fair since you do have me pinned to a tree against my will." He says seeming unaffected. I tighten my grip, clenching my jaw.

"Don't fuck me with, tell me who you are now." I hissed, my temper starting to rise. I can see the slightest of a smirk forming on his face, making me more anxious of what he was up to and who he was. He slowly lifts his head up enough that I could see his eyes. I hold back a small gasp as his green eyes are revealed. They were almost like Harry's but not as bright and beautiful. These eyes, they were dull and emotionless, cold.

"You want to know who I am?" He chuckles. Then he pries my hands off of his jacket and straightens himself out. I keep my guard up, my eyes never leaving him, ready to fight if I needed to. As intimidating as he tried to come off, he didn't scare me one bit. "Well Zayn, I am your worst nightmare." He says, smirking widely. My heart nearly stops, not out of fear but out of surprise and wonder.

"How do you know my name?"

"That's for me to know and for you to, dot dot dot." He says cheekily. I clench my jaw, nearly losing it and beating to complete daylights out of this guy, but he stops me. "You don't want to start something you can't finish, now do you?" He says, with a small laughter behind it. But the laughter sounded so familiar. It was deep, and seemed to be slightly distorted.

"Who are you.." I asked again, with more caution than I had last time. Instead of answering, he continues to laugh, the laughter becoming more prominent and audible. He sounded nearly demonic as his laughter became more and more distorted and misty. He's looking back down at his feet again, but moments later when he looks back up at me, my eyes widen.

Electric blue eyes.

Cold and empty.

It was like looking at my own reflection.

"You'll find out very soon, Zayn." He says. Soon after he disappears into thin air. I was still in shock staring wide eyed at the tree in front of me. I backed away, running a hand through my hair as it slowly started to dawn on me what I had just encountered.

My uncle's next minion, undoubtedly a temporary replacement for me.

It had to be, it was the only thing that made sense to me. As I thought about it more, something hit me with realization. I gasped, gripping my hair. Not only had he probably just found out that I was alive, but he was also targeting the Elites. He was planning something big and I didn't like it not one bit. I had to talk to Harry, I had to warn him. I quickly take out my phone with shaky hands, sending him a text message.

>to my harry: i need to talk to you ASAP

Nothing good was about to come out of this...

~