Introduction Theory

Artemi

Chicago, Illinois. The city of winds and broad shoulders. I have to say, choosing to come here to play hockey was a pretty good choice. Take away the fact that this team is the hottest team in the NHL coming off their third title in six years or that this city is one of the best sports cities in the world, and you're still left with enough to keep you entertained for weeks. This place was amazing and I couldn't wait to explore it.

As soon as the plane lands in Chicago I try my best to figure everything out. I wasn't in Russia anymore, that's for sure. I grab my bags and try to find the people who are helping me out in the sea of people at the airport.

There was a nice Russian family who I would stay with until I find my own place and would live on my own. They had two kids and have lived in the city for a while, so they know their way around. They were fans of me when I played back in St. Petersburg so it's nice to know someone around here will understand me.

"Artemi" someone yells and I turn around. I have my hockey things on my back and a few things in a suit case and that was it.

I find a guy calling my name and I walk over to him. He gives me a big smile and it made me feel so welcomed.

"Hi Artemi, I'm Andrew and this is my wife Yuila" he explains as we shake hands.

"Hello, pleasure to meet you both" I say.

"Why don't we get you back to our place, it's a lot less hectic there. We have a friend watching the kids and supper should be ready soon. I bet you're jet lagged" Yuila says.

"I'm tired, but I'll survive. That all sounds good to me" I nod.

I pick my things up and they pull the car around. I get loaded up and hop in the back seat. It starts to rain slightly as we drive off and into the city.

"It sucks it's raining today, this city is so pretty when there's a clean sky" Andrew starts.

"I've seen some pictures, it's beautiful. I still think it looks pretty cool with all the lights on right now" I admit.

"We can show you around tomorrow, or maybe our friend can help you out" he suggests.

"Yeah, Maybe" I nod.

I look out the window and look up at the buildings. This place made me feel so... small. There's so many people here and so much going on, I hope I don't get lost in it all.

After driving for what felt like forever in traffic we get to their apartment building. We park in the garage and I grab my things. I follow them up to their apartment and Andrew lets us in. Once we get in I'm met with something familiar, it was the scent of a home cooked food from Russian. I let the warm air surround me as I take in a deep breath. I could get used to this.

Andrew takes me and my things into the room I would be occupying for the foreseeable future and he gives the basic rundown. It was pretty simple and I wouldn't be here for long so I wasn't too worried.

"It smells like supper is done so we should probably go out and help set the table" he says.

"What's for dinner" I ask.

"Borscht" he claims and I smile.

"That's my favorite" I admit.

"Mine too" he nods.

We go out there and I stop in the hallway leading into the kitchen/ living room area. I try to move but my feet were stuck to the floor. Not even ten feet away from me was the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. I've been to a lot of places and seen a lot of girls, but never any like this one.