Secrets Theory

Gabriella

Artemi and the guys were out on their annual circus trip which means for two weeks it was just me and the dogs. Not that I didn't mind spending my days with the dogs, but I still missed Artemi. I used to not be able to function with people constantly around me, but now I just wanted my boyfriend by my side at all times. I could technically go out and see him, but this was his guy time. He needed to be stuck with them for a few weeks and I had some time to figure things out for myself just like the good old times.

On one of the many down days I had I decide to pay Andrew and Yuila a visit because they loved me. They know they did.

"What's up russian people" I ask walking into their apartment.

"Someone's in a good mood considering her Prince Charming is out slaying dragons" Yuila jokes.

"Can't I just be happy" I tease.

"Yes... at least you will be" she claims.

"What does that mean" I ask.

"Don't read into it" she says.

"Of course I'm gonna read into it. I'm a psychologist" I defend.

"I thought you were a dancer" she jokes.

"Only at heart" I assure her. "Now what do you know that I don't" I ask.

"Besides russian, not a lot" she smirks.

"Ha Ha, very funny" I giggle. "I'm serious Yu. You know I won't leave you alone until you tell me what's happening" I claim.

"I can't tell you" she defends.

"You can" I argue.

"I'm not going to tell you" she counters.

"Why do you hate me" I ask.

"You know I love you" she argues.

"Yeah you do" I smile.

I help her make dinner and hang out with the kids for a little. They were my favorite small people after all. After a while I decide the dogs probably want to use the restroom and I should go let them out.

I get to the apartment and let myself in. I let the dogs out and feed them while I was at it. I lay on the couch and decide to call Artemi.

"What? You miss me already" he jokes.

"I missed you the second you walked out those doors" I admit.

"I miss you too" he replies and I smile.

"I have a question for you" I admit.

"What's up" he asks.

"What did you tell Yuila that she can't tell me" I say and the line goes silent. "Hello" I ask.

"Sorry, I was trying to make up a lie" he admits and I laugh.

"Aremtiiii" I whine.

"It's a good secret. I promise" he says.

"I don't like secrets" I pout.

"Then can you answer a question for me" he counters trying to change the subject.

"Of course" I admit.

"Why are you so close with Andrew and Yuila? I mean you moved to this big city by yourself and didn't know or want to know anyone and the only people you kinda let in before me was a russian family, not exactly what you expect" he admits.

"Well, I met her kids first. I went to their school and talked to them. They were one of the first people I was able to help in this city, and besides the fact they were the most adorable kids I have ever seen, they were so sweet. When I sat down and asked if anyone wanted to talk about anything they told me they were sad because their dad was gone a lot. I explained to them that he had to go to work most likely and tried to cheer them up. Then they told me their mommy cries when he's gone too and that's when I knew I wanted to help. So I stuck around for when Yuila picked the kids up. She offered to invite me over and explain everything.

That's when she told me everything. How she moved here and fell in love but Andrew would be gone a lot. She gave up her dreams of being in the Disney on ice shows to make things work with him but she still felt like they were worlds apart. I felt bad for her and she was the first person to welcome me. We kinda just clicked" I shrug.

"Oh, well that's kinda sweet" he admits.

"I like to think so" I laugh.

"So what are you doing besides missing me" he asks.

"Nothing much, just trying to figure out what to do for the holidays" I shrug. Thanksgiving is a family holiday and I don't have one so...

"Well keep Christmas open" he says.

"Okay" I agree.

"Aren't you going to ask me why" he wonders.

"You wouldn't tell me anyway" I laugh.

"You're right, I wouldn't" be agrees.

"Glad we got that figured out" I reply sarcastically.

"You're gonna love it, I promise" he says.

"I don't doubt it" I admit.

We talk for a little more before he had to go. I decide to curl up on the couch and watch a movie until his game started.

I start to make a Christmas list of what I needed to get. I know I would get Artemi and Andrew and Yuila and the kids something. I would probably get something for Jon and Lindsey and probably some other people from the Hawks. I'm sure Artemi is already getting something for artem so I didn't have to worry about that. Plus I needed to get something for Kassie, she's been doing real good since she got here and I'm happy for her. She's such a great kid and doesn't even think about dancing anymore. At least until her mom calls to scream at her.

After I figure out gift ideas I look through a new case I got. A kids mom has been physically and emotionally abusing her. She got taken away from her and is in a foster home but she's struggling. She felt unwanted and unloved and I wish I could fix her. But what she needed was a parent to love her and I couldn't be her mom. Not biologically at least. I'm just hoping to help her figure out what she wants and how to get it. As long as we can make some small progress over time she'll get better, that's all I can expect from this type of situation.

By the time I was done with all of that the game was in the third period and I missed most of the game because I was stuck in my head once again.

Eventually the dogs come over and we watch the rest of the game. I smile as I look around at my life, with two dogs watching my boyfriend take over the world on my television.