Dreamer Theory

Gabriella

"I am not wearing these tights" Artemi shakes his head as we stand in the waiting room of a dance studio in Chicago.

"You have to otherwise you can't do the class" I insist. You didn't have to but I really wanted to see if he would put on the tights.

"Ugh fine" he huffs snatching the tights out of my hand and going to change. I can't believe that actually worked.

I walk into the bathroom and change into the leotard and leggings. I pull my hair into a pony tail and make sure I had deodorant on before stuffing my clothes in my bag and heading out.

I walk up to the wall lined with mirrors and stand in front of it. You can no longer see my ribs but I was still quite small. It was progress in this ever lasting tenure called life. I see some more muscles showing up and that made me happy. Artemi never takes it easy on me when we decide to work out together and I'm thankful for that. He's gotten me to love my body more and that's something no one has ever done for me.

"You look amazing" a voice says and Artemi appears in the mirrors behind me. I give him a smile letting him know that meant the world to me and he gives me one back.

"Thanks. You look pretty too" I joke and he rolls his eyes.

"This is going to be a long two hours" he shakes his head causing me to giggle.

"Thank you for doing this with me" I say.

"I will do anything for you. Just say the words" he assures me. He kisses my forehead and for the first time I find myself thanking god for where I am.

Eventually the other people in the class comes and Artemi quickly realizes he didn't actually have to wear tights. He was mad but he was mostly mad because he liked how they felt.

"If you tell any of the guys about this I'm going to cry" he whispers as the instructor explains how this class goes.

"Who am I going to tell... Hank" I ask and he chuckles. The instructor, who was a older woman, sends us a glare making us cease the giggles. Her glance turns into a quick stare as she looks me up and down before continuing with her speech.

"Okay everyone, lets warm up with a light stretch" she announces. Everyone copies her motions and Artemi was struggling a little. He would mutter something under his breath and it would make me laugh. The instructor kept looking at us and I tried my best to stay focused.

After we stretch out she teaches us the simple poses. It was a beginner class so it wasn't anything hard. Ballet was a lot of calm and serenity and that's two things I have a lot of. As time passes I find myself really enjoying dancing. It was something that kept my mind busy but free of its demons.

Eventually class ends and Artemi goes to change because he was sweaty and hated that his tights were riding up. I stand there while he walked out and the instructor comes over to me. Initially I was afraid she was going to yell at me for laughing so much but I couldn't help it. Watching him do some of those poses was hilarious.

"What's your name" she asks with a thick Russian accent.

"Gabriella Mam" I reply a little scared.

"Polite. I like it" she nods. "Why are you in this class" she asks.

"I wanted to try it out" I shrug.

"So you really haven't done ballet before" she asks.

"Nope. Never."

"You're a natural. I thought you were doing this class just to torture your man friend. Your movements, they're so beautiful and crisp, you look like you've been doing his your whole life. Have you ever thought about training to be a dancer" she ask.

"When I was a little girl it was my dream. I always wanted to be one but as I got older reality set in and I never saw myself as a dancer."

"I think you would make a beautiful dancer."

"Really?"

"Yes. Your figure is what any dancer would kill for. Your face, it is elegant and beautiful. Just simply stunning and poised. You take corrections well and even if you're a little distracted you still showed signs of a amazing dancer" she claims.

"I don't know..." I admit.

"What are you afraid of? Of being great" she asks.

"Don't most dancers train for years?"

"Yes, but true talent doesn't need it, and I see talent in you" she claims.

"Let me think about it" I say as Artemi comes over.

"I would really like to have you here. There's a spot open on the high team and it's yours if you chose to accept. Let us know" she claims and I nod.

"I will. Thank you" I smile before she walks away.

"What was that about" Artemi asks as I pick up my bag and throw it over my shoulder.

"The instructor wants me to dance here. Like professionally" I say and his eyes go big.

"Baby... that's amazing" he smiles pulling me closer.

"It is. But I know nothing about ballet. I haven't even been to a show" I defend. He pulls on that face that's says he's thinking and I wait for him to say something.

"Why don't we go see the nutcracker next week" he asks.

"You would want to see that" I wonder.

"Not unless you are there" he admits.

"Why are you pushing so hard for me to do this" I question.

"Because you sit here and watch me live out my dream and I want to do the same for you. You have been my biggest fan, every time I'm on the ice I want to do good and I want you to be proud of me. I know you love being a psychologist, but here is a opportunity to be something you dreamed of doing. To let go of everything and be this person you always wanted to be. And I want to support you as you've supported me. To be in the crowd and tell people that's my girlfriend. I know you can do anything you put your mind to. So if you wanted to do this, you will. Say the words and we're going to make this happen" he insists.

"Lets do it" I reply and he smiles.

"Seriously" he asks. "That seems too easy" he laughs.

"Becoming a professional dancer is hard enough all by itself. Why should I make it harder" I ask.

"Isn't that how life goes" he wonders.

"You can't let your life control you, you control your life" I remind him.

"There's my girl" he claims and I smile. He pulls me into a hug and my face gets smashed against his chest. He kisses my forehead and I smile big. Here's to a new beginning.