Somebody To Lean On Theory

Artemi

"Hey Breadman, wait up" Jonny calls as he runs after me down the hallways of the practice area. I wait there as he catches up to me.

"What's up" I ask.

"Lindsey and I are having a Halloween party and we wanted to invite you and Gabriella. I know it's last minute but we wanted the team to get together and wanted to get the word out there" he claims.

"When is it" I ask.

"This weekend" he says and I whistle.

"Wow that's real soon. Let me talk to Gabby and see what she says" I nod.

"Alright, let me know. Good practice by the way" he smiles.

"Thanks cap" I nod.

I drive over to Gabriella's place and she buzzed me up. I get in the elevator and walk straight in without knocking.

"Baby" I yell and I see hair dancing around the stove.

"In the kitchen" she yells back. I walk over and wrap my arms around her waist. She spins around in my arms and plants a long and much needed kiss on my lips. I will never get used to this feeling.

"How was practice" she asks.

"It was good. I'm sad we're leaving tonight though" I admit.

"You'll be back tomorrow night" she reminds me.

"Late tomorrow night. And I know you won't let me over after 11" I sigh.

"That's for the sake of both of us" she defends.

"I know. But it also means I won't see you until Thursday" I pout.

"Poor baby" she teases grabbing my face and pinching my cheeks. I would be upset, but I loved when she did that.

"How have you been sleeping" I ask.

"Oh look the food is done" she says turning around quickly, obviously trying to avoid this conversation.

"Don't change the subject" I warn.

"It smells great" she continues.

"Gabby please... talk to me" I beg and she lets out a soft sigh.

"I don't know what to tell you. I can't go to sleep. My anxiety is alive and well, feasting on my brain" she explains.

"I know. I know it's hard. Is there anything I can do" I ask.

"Take a nap with me" she asks.

"Yeah, why not" I shrug. "I just didn't know if you were comfortable with that" I admit.

"I haven't been comfortable since you came into my life. But that's not a bad thing" she explains.

"Okay. Lets take a nap" I say.

We eat lunch and I help her clean up before she takes me to her room. I've been in here before but just so she can ask me what outfit to wear on a date or to the games. It's been about two months and things are still moving really slow, but that's not a bad thing.

She crawls into bed and I crawl in with her. She snuggles into my chest and I hold her tight. She looks up to me and I couldn't help but smile.

"What" I ask.

"Nothing. You're just really comfy" she giggles.

"Glad I could be of service to you" I tease. I run one hand up and down her back slowly and while the other one runs my fingers through her hair. She rests her head on my chest as one arm reaches around me and the other rests under me kind of like a big hug. Her hair falls everywhere as her breathing starts to slow.

"This is nice" she mumbles.

"Shhhh baby. Go to sleep" I encourage. A second later she was out and I smiled, I wonder when the last time she went to bed.

She sleeps peacefully and I sit there contemplating life. This must be what she feels like every night. When everything else is asleep you're wide awake all by yourself being consumed by your thoughts. It kind of sucks. Granted she loves being by herself, I still can't imagine being in the complete silence like she does all the time. I can hear everything, I hear her heart beating in time with mine. I hear my grandfathers voice telling me to skate harder. I hear my grandma telling me not to hurt this girl. But louder than everything I hear every part of me screaming to never let her go. Because yes she has issues, but she isn't those issues. She is so kind, so intelligent, she wants to grow every day and you can't find that anywhere else. Sure I could find a girl who would follow me around and do anything I want or need whenever I asked. But I can find a million of girls like that. Girls like this... there are no other ones. Because when people go through hardship it's easier for them to give up and blame their problems for not being where they want to be. But she never let life control her like that, she was able to turn into this beautiful insightful woman who lays here with me. And it pains my heart that life is so hard for her, she doesn't deserve to feel this way. To hurt even though she has done nothing but defy the odds all her life. I just hope I can be something she leans on when times are rough.

At about 3 she starts to stir and she wakes up.

"Good morning sleepy head" I tease.

"What time is it" she grumbles getting the hair out of my face.

"After three" I say and her eyes go wide.

"3! Artemi you need to get to your plane" she says getting up quickly.

"Gabby Gabby Gabby, calm down. All my stuff in my car, I have time" I assure her and she stops pacing.

"Oh" she smiles.

"How did you sleep" I ask getting out of the bed. Although I didn't nap I was super comfortable.

"That was the best sleep I've had in years" she claims causing me to smile.

She insists on walking me to my car and we make it out there. I lean against the car and she waits for me to get off.

"I'm still going to miss you" I insist.

"I'll still be here when you get back" she assures me.

"Oh! Before I forget, Jonathan invited us to a Halloween party this weekend" I remember.

"A party" she asks.

"Yeah, it won't be that many people. Just the guys in the team and their significant others. Lindsey will be there" I explain.

"Sounds like fun" she claims and I stop to look at her. That was not the response I was expecting.

"Really" I ask.

"Yeah. When is it" she wonders.

"Saturday" I say.

"Artemi... that's your birthday" she reminds me.

"Oh yeah, it didn't even cross my mind. Guess it's a birthday party now" I shrug.

"Guess so."