The Forever Theory

Artemi

"Where is Gabby" Andrew asks as I walk through his apartment helping him clean up after the boys. We usually all hang out together and the boys really missed her being here. Honestly so do I.

"She's at practice. It's her first week as a dancer and she's been doing great. She's sore but they already have her with the top class" I nod.

"She's actually going through with this" he asks a bit shocked.

"Yeah, she's actually so excited. I haven't seen her this happy since we met" I smile remembering how she wouldn't stop talking about how much she loved dancing this morning. She doesn't want to admit it, but this is huge for her. She finally broke a chain from her childhood and is doing something she's always wanted to do even though it scared her. And she looks great doing it. I try not to make a big deal about it because I didn't want her to feel pressure to do good but it was a big deal. And I was super proud of her for even trying let alone succeeding like she is.

"Yuila has been trying to get her to do something for years. You know, she was a dancer in her days and always told Gabby that she would make a great one" he claims.

"Well we went to a dance class a few weeks ago and-" I start.

"-WAIT. You went to a dance class" he asks cutting me off and my eyes grow wide.

"Ummm" I stutter. I didn't think that through.

"It's okay. I did dance classes with Yuila once too" he claims and I smile.

"Really" I ask.

"Yeah. All good partners do some crazy shit for their significant others. I'm never stepping foot in a dance studio again, but at least I tried. Just for her" he shrugs.

"It doesn't matter anymore I guess because I got kicked out the second day I was there" I admit.

"Seriously" he laughs.

"Yeah. The instructor said I "lacked focus" and "would never make it as a dancer". Whatever that means" I mumble.

"It means you sucked" he says and I shrug.

"I was only there so Gabby would go. And I'm happy she did, she's really good at dancing. Her long legs move across the floor so effortlessly as that smile stays across her face. She can do all the turns effortlessly and met motions look like art in a museum. She looks so beautiful" I smile.

"She looks like she would be a good dancer. Is she still working downtown though" he wonders.

"Yeah. She still goes to schools and speaks when asked and meets with clients. She'll never lose her love for helping people and listening to their stories. That's her, who she is. It's how she came to terms with her past, but dancing is her future. It's something she always wanted to do deep down and now she can finally do it" I explain.

"That's good to hear" he nods. 

After messing around with the kids some more I leave Andrew and Yuila alone. Andrew isn't home a lot due to his job so I'm sure Yuila wanted time with him. I drive over to Gabbys apartment but she wasn't there yet. Instead I go for a walk and be by myself for once. None of the guys from the team or friends, just me and my thoughts. There was a lot to think about so my walk turns into a stroll around the city until Gabby texted me she was done with practice.

I find a bench to sit at and zone out. I watch people's life continue on as the wheels turning my head. I watch as some were people going to work and some just walk around as tourists. No one really cared that I was just sitting here. I mean I get stopped more often now, but most people don't care to interrupt their day to meet me. They have their own things to worry about. I mean most people don't even know my real name, I'm just the bread man in this city.

That's why I love having Gabriella around. Because to her I'm not that just another person who is trying to make it in this city. I'm not going to work or just a tourist passing by. To her I'm a part of forever. Not a lot of things last forever, only the really good things do. Like our relationship, yeah, that's forever.

After sitting there for a while I decide I was hungry and wanted some home cooking. We had a few days off and I wanted to relax for once.

I drive back to Gabby's and smile when I see her car in the building. I take the elevator up to the top floor and knock on the door. She answers in short shorts and a t shirt and I was a little taken aback. I wasn't expecting that.

"Hey Artemi, come in" she smiles. I take no time letting myself in. I hear paws scratching the floor and see a ball of fur fly around the corner and slide across the hardwood floor. Hanks paws go every which way trying to get himself up again so he can come say hi. He jumps up on my legs and I grab his face.

"How's my favorite boy" I ask as he barks. Eventually he hops down and waits by my feet for me to come in.

"How was your day" Gabby asks.

"It's was good. I hung out with Andrew and the kids this morning then went for a walk to clear my mind" I shrug.

"What were you thinking about" she asks as we sit on the couch. Hank joins us as we turn to each other.

"Nothing much" I insist.

"Our thoughts aren't "nothing". We are the way we are and there's a reason for that. Our thoughts, unspoken and spoken, is our way of communicating things with ourselves. There's no way that you were thinking of nothing" she insists.

"Do you believe in forever" I ask.

"What do you mean" she asks.

"Do you believe that we have the chance to create something that can last forever" I ask again.

She sits there and just looks at me. I know she's thinking, always thinking.

"To a person, forever is a lifetime. So I do think things can last forever" she admits.

"What about us... can what we have last forever?"

"In a life where everything seems so temporary, to think about something lasting forever is terrifying. What if something we don't like lasts forever? What if what we have lasts longer than we do? You never know.

But as far as love, it never dies. I know that if for some reason you are out of my life, I would still love you. I could never stop loving you. So what we have, it is forever. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing remains to be seen. But whatever it is, it could never die" she insists.

"That was beautiful" I smile.

"I try" she teases.

"So how was practice" I ask.

"It was a lot. There's a lot of things to remember and a lot of specificities. But I think I got it" she smiles.

"When do you think you'll preform" I wonder.

"Not until later this year. I'm just a under study but the woman they have right now is so amazing. And she so sweet" she explains.

"That's good to hear" I admit.

We spend most of the night just talking. I forgot I was even hungry and that's why I was here. Like always my plan flew out the window when I saw her.

Eventually we end up in her bed. She was cuddled into my side and I wrap my arms around her tight. I watch her chest rise and fall at the same pace of mine and smile. How lucky am I to have someone so special, forever.