Chapter Six: The Climb

"Ha! C'mon Tom, try a little harder than that!" Tord laughs obviously enjoying the show.

I'm only three feet off the ground, attempting to climb a rope in the practice room. My muscles already ache. Yet, for some reason, my body pushes harder at Tords request. Everything hurts, but I can't stop trying. My breaths become quick and shallow as I have to forcefully push out each breath. I have already sweat through my shirt as the stains are very  noticeable. This probably wasn't the best outfit to train in, but it's not like I had many options. I try to stop, to release the rope, and to drop, but just thinking about it makes my head start to spin. My vision blurs as I slip into darkness.

When I open my eyes again, all I see is ceiling with the practice rope swinging ever so slightly in the corner of my eye. I'm flat on my back on the lightly padded ground. Tord's face suddenly comes into view as he peers over me. He looks curious with a slight hint of frustration he is obviously trying to hide. He's good but not quite good enough. I take a moment to catch my breath as the wind was knocked out of me when I fell, I guess. 

I just left my hospital room yesterday. How can I be expected to accomplish something like this already? Is this how it's always going to be? Even when I did my own training, it was only light jogging and a (failed) attempt at push-ups. 

"Well, obviously," Tord began grabbing his chin in deep thought. "You have been through some setbacks... but we will make it work. " He seems unsure.

I attempt to sit up and immediately regret that decision. The pain causes my arms to buckle as I try to push myself up, and I end up right back where I started. Right on the ground. 

Tord chuckles and rolls his eye, sticking out his robot arm as an offer to help me up. We seem to be in this situation a lot. I reluctantly take his hand as he helps me up once more. The metal is cold and pinches my hand. 

My head begins to ache as I have the strangest feeling of Déjà Vu. Not because he helped me up yesterday, but something else... 

"Tom?"

I look at the Norwegian. He gave me a seemingly stern look, but his voice sounded soft. 

"I'm okay..." I huff while reality slowly drips back in. I look over at the rope in defeat. 

"What a mess... Well, I think it time for a break, hm?" Without waiting for a response, he turns and begins making his way towards the door. He waves his hand, gesturing me to follow. I take a single step as part of me urges to follow the strange man, but I can't give up like that. I look between Tord and the rope once more. I make a small dash to the rope using the momentum to get a head start when I jump. I grip the rope with my life and wrap my legs around it to keep me from slipping. Apparently, it helped some as I'm already where I left off last time. I already feel rope burns forming on my hands. My head strangely aches.

I hear a confused sound from Tord, but I don't look. I focus all my energy into my arms and legs to help push and pull me up. 

I have to do this.

I pull up again, and I feel sweat coat the part of my forehead that is exposed. I want to wipe my forehead, but I don't dare let go of the rope more than I have to. I slide down ever so slightly, and I wrap my hands tighter around the rope as I feel the rough fibers cut into my hands. With a grunt, I scoot up ever so slightly more. 

Why do I care so much?

I grit my teeth as everything rapidly begins to hurt more. I refuse to look down, but looking up, I see I might kinda almost be to the top, maybe.

Why am I so determined to do this?

I focus on the rope and slowly inch my way up.

Am I trying to prove something?