Chapter Ten: A Colorful War

Tom's POV:

I feel the vibrations jolt up my body as my feet pound on the broken pavement. We near the left edge of the woods, and I rather harshly stop against the back of a nearby building. The brick texture pushes into my back as I lean against the rough wall. I see my fellow soldiers do the same as I asses the situation. As a force of habit, I want to look to Tord for guidance, but after our team split into two groups, Tord ended up guiding the other half. 

Upon my orders, we begin to round the building in an attempt to creep into the woods. The silence is destroyed as the first pop rings through the atmosphere. A paintball hits the wall next to my head with little flecks of green spraying everywhere from the impact. Everyone ducks just in time before more pops sound out as the guns begin to fire. The sound isn't nearly as prominent as the sound of an actual gun, but it is still very audible all the same.

I scan the tree line in search of the source of the shots but struggle to find anything. Eventually, I spot a small face peaking out from behind the leaves of the treetops. 

"They're in the trees!" 

Thankfully, my team reacted fast, so no one has been shot yet, but it was still too close. Everyone scatters, hiding behind various structures while still staying nearby. I peaked around the corner of the building I had retreated to and took aim. Even though this was obviously different, I tried to remember how I trained with my other gun. I sucked in a breath, briefly holding it and letting it out as I fired. Red exploded on the soldiers' chest, and their eyes widened with shock. If I didn't know any better, I would almost mistake the red spray over his blue overcoat for blood. 

Either way, I'm pretty sure that was just a lucky shot on my part. Even if it wasn't, there is no way we were going to get through this given the angle and situation we are in. They have height on us and more cover. We need to regroup. Just thinking about trying to go somewhere even higher gives me goosebumps. Am I afraid of heights?

Another rain of shots disrupts my thoughts and reminds me of the urgency in finding a tactic. A light bulb goes off in my head, and I dash to the other corner of the building of the wall I'm hiding behind. I take a quick peak as my prayers are answered, and I spot a door as an entrance to the building.  We still need to take them by surprise, though, as they did to us...

I order a small group to follow me as we sneakily make our way into the building and climb the steps to the upper levels. We perch ourselves among the windows facing the woods on the second and third floors, preparing to fire. I signal the soldier next to me, setting off a chain reaction of shots. We instantly surprise the enemies, knocking a few out of the game right off the bat. 

There was a brief confused pause in their shots of whether to aim for those of us on the ground or in the building. Both parts of our team were still going strong, but as expected, it seems at least one of us was shot on the ground level.

Green and red splotches are littered everywhere, with the colors mixing in some spots. The combination of the green and red colors together sickens me for some reason. I'm not sure why nor how to explain it, but I seem to have some weird deep hatred for it, actually.

 It seems the green team finally figured out what happened and has soldiers firing in every direction. Out of the corner of my eye, I see an explosion of green followed by a matching grunt as one of the soldiers next to me is shot. I let out another spray of pellets, hitting a few more green soldiers. Soon, it once again returned to the eerie silence as the entire part of the green team we were up against was wiped out. But by no means was it the entire team. We did lose a few of our numbers, mostly of those on the ground, but our losses were much smaller than that of the other team. We make our way back down to the others and count our losses. Six, not too bad. There is still plenty of us left.