Chapter Nineteen: Danger and Destruction

Tom's POV:

I close my eyes, preparing to get crushed, and then fall several feet. This was going to hurt. I hear loud sounds of the tower falling apart more, but besides the scary sounds, nothing happens. I open my eyes to find me standing straight up. My legs and arms had transformed, and I was holding the ceiling of the tower up with my monster arms. My Tail had grabbed my gun that I must have dropped in all the chaos that had happened.

You have powers for a reason, you know.... Tomster grumbles in my head. If not for me, you would have killed both of us.

"Hehe... Thanks, Tomster..." I think in my head, purposefully noting to not say it out loud this time.

I search for Tord, who is on the ground next to me. He grips the railing with one hand and holds himself in a sitting position with the other. He looks stunned, staring open-mouthed at the monster standing before him. When realization kicks in, a large smirk of pride spreads on his face.

"When it comes down to it, your powers really can be one of your strongest weapons. It might even save your life one day." Tord's words from earlier echo in my head.

At this point, the shots had stopped. Both teams were staring up at the broken guard tower, many of them completely stunned and a few seemingly scared. Another rumble of the building reminds me that we still aren't safe yet.

"Ready to finish this?" Tord asks still on the floor. I nod and carelessly throw the top of the structure onto some soldiers of the enemies' team with ease. Tord gives an impressed nod, and I transform one hand back to extend it to him and help him up. He grins and takes it, getting back to his feet. Oh, how the tables have turned. Usually, he is the one helping my clumsy self up. I was about to make a joke about it until the building rumbled again. I run over to the edge of the platform and peer over the railing. One of the support beams nearest to the wall that was blown up is exposed and quickly splitting. If it breaks, the tower will go down with all of us in it.

"Get everyone out of the tower, I will use my powers to help hold it up until you are all out." I tell Tord forming a plan.

"Since when do you give the orders?" He grins, raising an eyebrow.

"Is this really the time?" I think he heard the exasperation in my voice as he quickly grew serious, and his inner leader mode kicked in.

"Everyone out now. Quickly but carefully," Tord commands. The soldiers hesitate momentarily but quickly follow their leaders' orders.

"Okay, Tomster, I'm going to need some help here..." I think eyeing the edge of the platform.

Just don't mess up and get us both killed, okay?

"Wow, thanks for the support...."

It's what I'm here for.

It was horrifying, and I had to do it to save everyone else, but with my possible fear of heights, I don't know if I could actually do it.

Don't look down~

"You're not helping!!!" When people talk about fighting their inner demons, I don't think this is what they meant.

I take a deep breath and break out in a sprint. I easily side hurdle the rails, using the momentum and the poles to help me push up and over. Next comes the worst part of all, the fall. I instantly regret everything as I see the ground getting larger at a faster and faster rate. I'm falling feet first, and I can feel the dropping sensation all throughout my body, even my monster parts.

Get ready. Tomster giggles. Sometimes, I can't even tell who is more of a sadist at times, him or Tord. Though I didn't really know if Tord was one or not, with how he acts sometimes, it makes it hard to tell.