Chapter Fourteen: Taming the Beast

Tord's POV:

I lean my back against the smooth wall next to the lab door in the outside hall while waiting for Tom. I shift awkwardly in an attempt to find a more comfortable position as the straps to my robot arm press tightly into my back and shoulder. With a puff of smoke from my cigar, I finally settle. Ever since my arm broke after the first "visit" from my old friend Edd, I have been trying to adjust to the upgrades and new straps I added to the arm. I'll get used to it eventually. I feel anger arise in me as I remember how I got here. I breathe in another breath of the toxic air through the cigar to relieve the tension building in me.

Either way, I do have to admire the craftsmanship and technological advances I have made on this thing. I twist my robot arm in awkward angles to get a good look at it. Being so lost in my own thoughts, I don't even notice Tom's arrival at first.

"Sir?" His voice disrupts my thoughts, dragging me back to reality and even startling me a little. Reflexively, my hand goes to the handle of the gun on my pocket until I loosen my grip upon realization that it was just Tom. I have been awfully distracted recently....

"Ah yes, Thomas. C'mon," I nod my head in the direction of the lab door as a signal to follow.

Looking at him, I realize how much has happened in the last 24 hours as it is definitely shown on him. He hasn't had a chance to change since the paintball fight, and he is covered in red and green paint as well as an even darker red that isn't paint. His shirt sleeve is completely shredded, where he transformed. With another tear where he was shot, with blood-soaked bandages that can be seen through the hole. I would have him change into something more presentable, but his clothes will probably only get more torn in a few minutes anyway. Today's training won't be easy, to say the least.

I quickly pushed myself off the wall and entered the lab after realizing I was staring. I don't think Tom noticed. I hope he didn't.

"We have a lot to do," I announce, stepping in and informing the scientist of my presence. Without delay, she appears out from behind the rows of shelves once more smiling friendly at Tom.

"Hello Tom, it's nice to see you again."

She appears to be nervous as I scan the room while checking her progress. I'm impressed, but of course, I wouldn't let her know that. The lab was almost spotless, with only a few important books still left out. She really must have moved fast to get it in this condition. The only satisfaction I allow her is a small nod to calm her nerves so she can focus on the task at hand. She breathes the slightest sigh of relief, turning her attention back to Tom.

"I'm sorry.... We have met before?" Tom inquires, not remembering past experiences he had in the army. For obvious reasons, of course.

"Oh!" She exclaims. "That's right, you had -"She stops searching for the right word to say. Instead, she just nervously coughs and changes the subject, placing her hand on her neck where sweat has begun to form.

"Well, we have kind of worked together before on controlling your..... condition...." She avoids eye contact at first but instantly perks up. "But to reintroduce myself, I am the head scientist and researcher here at the base." She politely holds her hand out to Tom, who timidly shakes it.

"It's nice to meet you... again." It sounded like more of a question than a statement, but she didn't seem to care.

"Shall we?" She requests motioning towards the door in the back of the room that leads to the experimentation zone. Tom nods, brushing off any of the questions he obviously had. I think he has finally learned there is no point in questioning things here, really.

The three of us head into the second part of the lab with the researcher leading. Upon entering, I notice padding that is laid out, covering most of the cement floor. Most of the machines, equipment, and tables have been pushed against the walls.