Chapter Twelve: Enemies and Regrets

Edd's POV

"You know they wouldn't if they had the choice." I mumble but still loud enough for him to hear. I don't know what Tord has done, but it can't be good in any way. Tom especially would never agree to staying with Tord. The words stung as I said them. I have never been the cruel or mean type, but the war has hardened me, changed me in ways it's hard to describe. Yet, cruelty still does not come easily, even if someone deserves it. I am definitely a bit rougher around the edges now, though, both physically and emotionally. If I had this conversation with Tord a few months ago, before everything changed, I would have been lost in a sea of tears by now. Tears still sting the very edges of my eyes, but I refuse to release them.

Even though Tord only has one eye, he doesn't lose his threatening glare that is practically as sharp as the knives he probably has in his pockets. I always thought that look was unsettling, but I didn't think too much of it until I found out what was really hidden behind it. Tord knows I am right, too, which only makes it that much scarier as he briefly grits his teeth, trying to keep his composure. His one good eye had turned silver with the probable frustration he was experiencing. He straightens up suddenly, seemingly put together. It was horrifying how quickly his emotions seemed to change. I always thought he was a ticking time bomb. I just never thought he would literally blow things up. Especially not to the point where we end up... here.

"It doesn't matter," Tord shakes his head sinisterly. "They are mine now." He states it so matter of factly, putting emphasis on mine as he says it. It hurt. Tord has taken everything from me. Matt, Tom, the old house, most things I have ever owned, and my trust. I don't want to hate Tord, but he makes it hard. I'd like to believe I don't have a hateful bone in my body. I mean, besides my rivalry with Eduardo... I have usually gotten along with everyone. That has always been my goal anyway, for everyone to be happy.

Tord used to be our friend. Even though it has been a while since the incident, I still can't believe it was our Tord who did all of this and that it is the same Tord glaring at me now. Part of me believes our Tord is in there somewhere. That is, if he ever really existed in the first place. It makes me wonder how many of those memories were actually fake and didn't really mean anything. Tord makes a sound of consideration that disrupts me from my rather dark thoughts.

"In fact," he pauses, reviewing whatever plan he is concocting in his mind. "Let me prove it to you." He tilts down his head, causing harsh shadows to cast across his face. He grabs a radio from somewhere in his uniform and holds it up to his face.

"Doctor?" He asks, waiting for a response. He casts a slight glance to me, probably searching for some kind of reaction. I'm just frozen. Frozen with fear and a terrified anticipation as to what Tord had up his sleeve.

Why am I even still here? Why did I come? I don't remember anymore. I feel like I have lost all purpose, all hope. As I stand before my, what most people would call enemy, I don't even know what I want to gain from being here. Maybe Tom was right, I am still living in my own childish fantasies. Because everything isn't alright, but it seems I have realized it too late. I just wanted to help. I thought I could just make everything be... okay

At this point and time, I'm not even sure what I'm fighting for anymore. Tord is practically unstoppable now, and I'm alone and defenseless against him. Once upon a time, I was a part of the best chance to stop him, but it was greatly my fault that chance was diminished. Matt always told me it wasn't my fault and not to blame myself. I always did, though, and I still do. Maybe that's why I'm here, to amend my mistakes.

"Yes, sir?" A voice finally crackles from over the small device of who I assume to be the doctor.

"Is Tom in operational condition?" Tord asks, acting like Tom was some kind of... machine.