Chapter Eighteen: Past Mistakes

Someone made me fan art!!!! AHHH I love it! Read the authors note for more info :3 

Tord's POV:

Tom's digital eyes go wide at my question. I don't think he has even fully recovered from my sudden outburst a few moments ago, and yet now I'm asking him to go fight in a war. Tom just stares at me from across the room while just trying to catch up with reality. Honestly, I wasn't even that mad about the teasing. I was just having too much fun. 

I smirk and press the red button on my desk that turns on the PA system. What can I say? I'm a sucker for large dramatic buttons. A simple tone rings throughout the base, demanding everyone's attention, and I begin to speak. 

"Sectors A and B meet at the loading zone and prepare for battle." I hear my own voice echo off the walls down the hall followed by a click of the speakers shutting off.  Immediately after, there are cheers and pounding as soldiers march towards the designated location. 

I only hear the cheers clearer when Paul and Patryk enter through my office door, muffling the excited soldier's yells once more as the door is shut behind them. Patryk takes the lead, stepping in and up to my desk first, with Paul following closely behind with a medium-sized unlabeled box in hand. They both walk past Tom, who is still planted cluelessly in the back of the room. 

"Sir, what's going on?" Patryk speaks up hesitantly. 

"One of our borders a bit north of the base is being attacked by an unknown force, though I have my suspicions." It was most likely Edd and his own rebellion. He has suddenly been bolder about starting up again. I wonder what they're up to. "Most of the soldiers are probably already at the docks, so I need you and Paul to hurry up and prepare the jeeps for quick and efficient transportation. Inform the other drivers that we are taking route 6 on our discussed emergency map." They both nod, but it looks like they have more to say. Don't they understand we are in a hurry?

"Well?" I ask, raising an eyebrow. 

"We weren't sure if it was the time or not," Paul speaks up. "But the head scientist requested that we inform you of the possible completion of Tom's new suit." He holds the box in his hands out, but I jerk my head in Tom's direction for him to take it. It is his uniform, after all. 

"That soldier is quite efficient with her time, I must say. Tom, you might as well wear it to test it. Who knows if you may need to transform or not." I nod. Tom hesitantly took the box, peeking inside.

"You mean I may need to use my powers in battle?" Tom speaks up for the first time. His eyes go wider somehow, and sweat forms on his forehead. All of the things Tom has been through have taken quite a bit of the already lacking self-confidence Tom had. It has really changed him, and in weird ways I can't describe, I miss the old him. 

But this was necessary, and I shouldn't care anyway.

I don't care, right? 

I shake off the depressing thoughts, attempting to stay focused on the important matters at hand. 

"That's exactly what I mean Tom. When it comes down to it, your powers really can be one of your strongest weapons. It might even save your life one day." I wink or attempt to at least. To Tom, it probably just looked like a blink if not for the wide grin on my face. Somehow, I still seem to forget about the eye patch and the one not working eye sometimes. Tom pushes around the contents of the box with an uncertain look. Maybe I should have looked at it and reviewed it first since I have no idea what the new suit looks like. I guess it's too late for that now. I hear an urgent beep of an alarm from my computer reminding me of the importance of time at the moment.