Chapter Twenty Nine: Familiar Beginnings

Tom's POV: 

Beep... Beep... Beep...

The all too familiar steady noise of a heart monitor fills my ears. Am I in the hospital ward again? Not this again... ugh... What happened to me this time? 

I attempt to open my 'eyes', or in my case, just power on my visor, but it doesn't work. Why wouldn't my visor turn on? 

Memories of what had happened with the last battle flood my thoughts. My visor broke... I gingerly reach a hand up to my face, afraid of what I will find.  To my horrified surprise, my visor was intact on my face. 

No, it can't be. It can't be fixed. Not again. Tord cannot have control over me again. Tord cannot erase my memories again. 

I sit up quickly in a panic. What will I do? Apparently, I startled someone else in the room with me as I heard a quick gasp of surprise nearby. 

Wait... but if my visor is fixed... how do I still have my memories? Why do I still remember everything? 

"Oh Tom, you're up." A familiar voice I can recognize at Patryck speaks up. "How do you feel?" 

"How do I feel? Really? What is going on?!?" 

"I guess I should have expected as much... It's probably best that Tord wasn't here when you woke up." Patryck nervously laughs to himself. 

I scowl at the mention of his name. I didn't know how or what to feel about him, really. I just didn't even want to think about him. I attempt to reposition myself in a better spot in my bed. I mean, I might as well try to relax. There really isn't much I can do now anyway. 

"I'm guessing you know everything then? You are one of his right-hand men, after all." 

Of course, that was said in one of the rudest ways possible. I felt guilty being this so harsh on Pat. The anger was really meant for Tord. I think by the sigh that followed, he knew too. 

"You know... It may seem messed up and not make much sense, but a lot of the things Tord has done... have been for you. You should have seen him after he thought you died." He once more let out a nervous chuckle. This time, it seemed more sincere.

"I'm sorry, but I doubt it. From what I have seen, Tord isn't capable of caring for anyone." I tried being less harsh, but it still came out with a low growl. I know he was only trying to help, but I don't understand trying to defend someone like Tord.

As if on cue, I can hear the hospital door slide open. I can tell just by the way he walks who it is. I have gotten very used to it over the past weeks I have spent here. 

"Oh now, I wouldn't go that far, my dear Thomas." Tord sneers. I don't even have to have my vision to know how smug the look on his face is.

"You know I hate it when you use my full name." I snap. It really won't help me being rash with him, but I can't help it. 

"You didn't seem to mind that much before~"He teases. I wasn't having it. 

"Yeah, I wonder why that is. It's not like I was stripped of my memory or anything... Oh, wait... I was." 

Tord went oddly quiet for a bit. It was unsettling being blind and in the same room as him. Obviously, I didn't trust him. I didn't want him to power on my visor, though. Who knows what he would do with that power again? 

"I mean, who knows, I'm probably under your control now." I add. I couldn't stand the silence. 

"Classic stupid Tom..." He chuckles to himself.