Chapter Twenty One: Hangovers Hurt

Tom's POV:

"Ughhh..." I groan. Everything hurt. What... Where...? I can't think straight in the slightest bit. 

Good morning sunshine, look who is finally up.

The amount of sarcasm in Tomster's tone was amazing. It took a little longer for my visor to load up this time, and even longer to for it to focus. 

"What... happened?" Oh no... Is this like my first day here again? Why can't I remember anything? I begin to panic. Okay, calm down Tom, let's figure this out. God knows Tomster won't be of any help. As a response, I heard his laugh pierce my thoughts, worsening the huge headache I was starting to get. 

"Shhh..." I think aloud putting pressure on my temples, rubbing in a circular motion. 

I look around, trying to piece things together. I'm in my room and on my bed. At least I am somewhere familiar this time.  I wasn't really in bed, though. It was more like I was just thrown on top of it, not even under the covers. Not only that, but I was in my new suit, and I was absolutely filthy. Both my clothes and myself, in general, were covered in actual dust and dirt. I breathed through my nose to try to prevent the inevitable panic that was beginning to settle in my stomach, but that was a huge mistake. I instinctively gag at the repulsive smell. I wreaked of sweat, dirt, alcohol, and... cigarette smoke? I don't smoke... 

Okay, so I remember getting this suit right before... Oh yeah! There was an attack. That battle that we had to go to, to defend the base if I remember correctly... I rub my temples, trying to shake the headache I had that felt like knives in my brain. 

So, we won the battle. That much I remember. Then we began to head back to the base... I can't remember anything past getting in the trucks to head back. Maybe I was so exhausted that I just came back and collapsed? I really hope that is all that happened. The strong smell of alcohol concerns me, though. 

I haul myself to my feet, trying to stay upright as a wave of dizziness washes over me. Thankfully, the dizziness quickly subsides but unfortunately only to be replaced by nausea. I throw myself forward into the bathroom, falling in front of the toilet and emptying my stomach. Great, it is a hangover. Not that it really surprises me that alcohol was involved. Oh great, what did I do this time? I guess I should fix myself up for now and regret whatever happened later. I'll find out eventually anyway. 

*Time Skip*

I step out of the shower with a nice, warm towel wrapped around my waist and back into my room. The cold air brushes on my bare skin, sending shivers down my spine. I fold my arms over my chest in a futile attempt to stay warm. The faster I put on clothes, the quicker I can warm up. To my surprise, almost all my old clothes in my closet were replaced with new versions of the advanced outfits made for me. After admiring the work for a bit, I selected an outfit almost identical to the one I had yesterday, putting it on. 

Not caring too much, I ran my hands through my hair a few times just to get the tangles out. For the most part, it didn't require too much, though, as my hair just tends to naturally stick up the same way all the time. I shrug and turn to admire myself in the mirror but stop as I catch a glance of the clock. 

2:35 pm.

Had I really slept most of the day? Under other circumstances, I would care more, but frankly, I was too hung over, too. Plus, if Tord cared, he either would have sent someone to come get me or came himself. I don't necessarily believe this, but I use the thoughts to comfort me anyway. I slip my flask into my vest pocket. It was surprisingly full already. 

Like you need any more alcohol. Tomster laughs. 

"I know it's pointless asking, but what happened yesterday?" I think rolling my eyes. I do a final quick mirror check and begin to head to Tord's office. I was probably going to have a lot of explaining to do.