Chapter Twenty Two: Paperwork is Stressful

Tord's POV:

The next two days were painful. 

Tom was definitely avoiding me. Of course, whenever I asked, he blew it off as if it were nothing. He wouldn't admit to it, but anyone could tell. Half of the time, he was with me because he was still my assistant despite everything. He would ignore me to the best of his ability. He was only ever around when he had to be. Even then, he would come early just to rush through his work and leave as soon as he could. I didn't think I would, but I have missed all the smart remarks that no longer come and are now just replaced by a suffocating silence. I used to like quiet, but I have really come to despise it. Tom even takes all of his meals in his room now and locks himself in there whenever he can. Of course, I did try ordering him to be around more, but he was always so quiet and seemingly uncomfortable. Could I blame him, though?

Why do I even care so much? I should be happy. Tom is my obedient servant who serves in my army and does his work better than most soldiers. He is under my command and quietly does his work with very little resistance. Then why is he affecting me so much? Why can't I get him off my mind? 

I ball my hands into fists and slam them on my desk in frustration, causing it to shake and a few things to fall. Out of my peripheral vision, I see that I startled Tom, who was silently working in a chair across the room on some paperwork. I can't even focus on my work anymore. How long have I been just staring into nothingness, thinking about Tom, and not getting anything done? 

Tom stares at me curiously but immediately averts his eyes as we have made the slightest yet extremely awkward, eye contact. I couldn't shake what we saw on the security footage from my mind as well as what happened in the office afterward and what it felt like to be by his side. It felt like how Paul and Pat always described it to be like. Between the rush, the relief, the adrenaline, the awareness, and the comfort to know they were right behind you. It's different with Tom and I, though. We hate each other. Even if Tom doesn't remember, I still catch glimpses of his old self in how he acts and reacts. If he had his memories, would I still have these odd feelings towards him? I mean, he hates me either way because why else would he be avoiding me? I mean, I don't like  him, and he obviously doesn't like me. If that's the case, then what is wrong with me?!?!

Tom's POV:
I just have to finish up this last bit of paperwork, then I can leave... 

SLAM

A loud bang shatters the silence, causing me to nearly jump out of my seat. Tord had pounded on the desk suddenly in... frustration? I mean, I know paperwork sucks but it's not that bad. He hasn't really even been working on it. Not that I am paying attention to him or anything... Something tells me that's not what he is upset about, though. He ran a hand through the back of his hair, glancing up at my staring eyes. I quickly go back to my work, wanting to leave even more than before somehow. I can't face Tord, but I can't stop thinking about him either. 

The past couple of days have been exhausting. Of course, I have been avoiding Tord after what happened because it has just been too awkward. I'm guessing it was obvious as he has already attempted to ask me about it a few times. I wouldn't tell him the truth, I couldn't. It would just make things worse. So I always blew it off like it was nothing. I don't think he necessarily believed me, but he still dropped it afterward. I don't even know what is going on with me, so what would I tell him?

"Thomas." 

I don't dare look up. Every part of me tells me to, but I can't. It doesn't help that he used my full name. I still can't figure out why it bothers me so much when he does that.

"Thomas. Come sit by me." He demands. He was stern, but there was a slight softness in his voice. That didn't change the fact that I wanted to ignore him, though. I hear a slight screech of a chair scraping against the hard wooden floor as Tord probably pulls up a seat next to him.