Chapter Twenty Four: What is Tord Planning?

Tom's POV:

Eventually, after realizing it would be a while until Tord's "plans," I decided I would go work on some independent training to help pass the time and clear my thoughts. It has really been a while since I have had the chance to train alone.  Usually, I would join in with the group training with Paul and Pat for our section. It seemed that more often than not, Tord would also "coincidentally" watch over and join in on each section. 

I would also participate in the special "leader training" designed for the leaders of each department. It was meant for the best of the best and was often much more intense than the other regular training sessions. It was exhausting sometimes, but I have gotten into even better shape because of it, which, in a way, makes me think it is worth it. Something tells me that if it weren't required, nothing would have given me the motivation to get into such good shape. Any form of physical activities or exercise has been becoming increasingly easier, and small muscles have become more prominent on my scrawny arms. Of course, I'm not just suddenly super beefed up or anything, but I'm stronger than when I started. 

After an estimated three hours of everything from jogging, to push ups, to all the in-between, a message pops up in my line of sight of my visor instructing me to report to my room. I assume it's from Tord, considering it is his new program he put in for better communication. With enough practice, I will eventually be able to send messages from my visor just by thinking about it. I actually rather like some of the features Tord has implemented in this thing, but I have to admit, I have wondered if there is anything about it he isn't telling me. I don't have any reason not to trust him. 

I stand up from my planking position and take a few deep breaths from the aftermath of the exercise.  Usually, I would be much more exhausted, but between the new suit, harnessing control over my powers, and building my strength, things have been getting easier. I reach up in a stretch, loosening my muscles and decide to comply with Tord's orders. 

I exit the training center and walk down the two short hallways it takes to arrive at my room. I have slowly gotten used to the soldiers greeting me as a leader whenever I pass by them in the hall. Something about it, though, feels... off. I still get those weird feelings about something not being quite right while I'm here. 

I put my hand on the scanner by my room door and wait for the beep that allows me in. Tord has been trying to increase security ever since those rebel attacks the base had a few weeks back. It has been oddly quiet recently on the rebel side of things, which has left everyone a bit on edge. The scanner glows with a  green  light that seeps between my fingers, followed by a satisfying click of the door opening. I cautiously step in, skeptical about Tord and his supposed "plans." I wasn't sure exactly what I was expecting, but I figured that knowing Tord, it would be something grand and over the top, like super advanced guns or plans for some huge battle. To my surprise, what I was greeted with was... simple. Honestly, I think I preferred it over whatever else it was that I was expecting. 

Laid out on my bed appeared to be a small pile of clothes with a note on top. The note was scribbled on a small greeting card in handwriting that was neat but sloppy at the same time. I could tell Tord wrote it even before reading the signature. 

Dear Thomas, 

Change into these and meet me at the loading zone. See you soon~

Tord

He even signed it with his real name. I'm shocked. I gingerly place the card back on the bed next to the stack of folded clothes that were left. I lift the top piece of clothing, which surprisingly is just a basic blue hoodie. Even though it was clean, it smelled very strongly of alcohol, making me wonder where he got it from. I suppose I will just have to trust him. Something about that, though, felt wrong, though. Do I really not trust Tord?