Chapter Thirty: Protect What You Love

Tord's POV:

After a bit of focusing on paperwork, I think I have finally gained my cool. I am calm. I can do this. I just faced a couple of setbacks, that's all. 

Knock Knock

OH WHAT NOW-

"Come in..." I Grumble. For wanting to be alone, I sure am seeing a lot of people today. The door slowly creaks open, and one of my border patrol soldiers peeks his head in. He steps in, salutes, and waits for permission to speak. I have them trained well. "Reports?"

 "We saw no more signs of enemy troops -" he speaks up.

"Great!" I cut him off. That's all I needed to hear. "You are dismissed." I grin and turn back to my work. To my surprise, he doesn't leave. "Well?"

"Sir, we did find this, though..." He pulls out a silver canister out of his pocket that sloshes slightly with liquid inside. It's... The flask I gave Tom. I mean, I know he was upset with me, but would he really pass up alcohol? "It seems like there was some kind of a struggle between... well, we aren't sure who... at the location this was left at. All soldiers here are accounted for besides the ones released this morning..." He handed me the flask carefully and quickly gave me space. I think he could see the increasing anger in my face. 

 "Get officers Paul and Patryck to my office. Immediately." I boom, and the soldier nods and quickly runs off. He wouldn't dare delay with the orders I just gave. It was probably nothing, right? Then why have I felt like something is wrong all day? 

Suddenly, my computer starts ringing, immediately grabbing my attention. Who is it now? Observing the screen, it says it is coming from an unknown source. It was odd, to say the least. People hardly call knowing better than to bother me. When they do its usually someone of power or of an army trying to reason with me. Eventually, they learned it was pointless, though. 

Hesitantly, I answered, knowing that it could be one of my spies I have deployed among various locations. Often, they need to go by undercover names, so it is best if its a one-way communication. The screen loads and who I know as the mad scientist Bing comes into view. He is grinning with that look he always has, and he has somehow outsmarted me for once. The thing is, he always had that look.

"Bing, what is it this time? I thought I blocked all connections from you." I groan. He kept trying to contact me when my takeover first started. He wanted to be my personal evil scientist, but he was too all over the place for me. I also didn't like the fact that he always liked to show me up with my inventions and wanted to freely do his own thing. That does not happen in my army. 

"It's nice to see you too, Red Leader. How are things going with the army? I saw you took quite a bit of damage recently..." How did he know? Then again, he seems to know a lot of things that surprise me at times. 

"If all you want is small talk, I'm hanging up -" I really wasn't up for this. Especially not now. Paul and Pat quietly enter my office, and I hold up a finger for them to wait.

"Oh, but wait, trust me, you're going to like this. Be glad I got in contact with you. Otherwise, who knows what would happen to your friend here..." He trails off looking to his right at something out of screen and grinning sadistically. Wow, he really has lost it. "And did I see correctly that we have an audience? Brilliant! They can see how weak their leader really is." 

"Just get to the point, Bing." I roll my eye really wanting to end this. We have had many calls like this, but he never did have anything really. It did semi concern me though. Maybe it was just how unsettling everything was with Tom, but something about Bing's call seemed... more menacing than usual. Maybe it was just that it had been a while since the last time he called. Really, who knows.