Chapter Twenty Three: Things to Forget and a Night to Remember

Tord's POV:

I don't know if it made things easier or harder after Tom and I had confessed our feelings for each other.

Being the leader of an army, I still had to be professional, of course. There are no weaknesses and definitely no favoritism. Love complicates things too much, especially in the middle of a war. 

And damn did Tom make it difficult. 

I made it very clear that we had to still be official, especially around other soldiers, but that didn't stop the occasional teasing that inevitably neither of us could resist. 

Part of me had to wonder, did Tom really feel this way about me? What if it was all just an unintentional result of me controlling him? I mean, he wouldn't have any positive emotions towards me at all if not for him not having his memories...  If I never did the things I did, though, would he still care? Before I attempted to retrieve my robot, we had our moments, but most of the time, he hated me and I him. So I never let myself feel anything for him. But now....

What was this that I was feeling anyway? Regret? I have everything I have always wanted almost and yet... Is Tom included in the list of things that I want? I mean, I had my reasons for bringing him into my army, right? I saved his life. Yeah, I almost killed him once, but if I had... would I have been able to live with myself? If all of Toms' current feelings are forced, then does it even matter? Why would I be so angry and confused otherwise. 

I suddenly feel dizzy at the endless questions that swarm my mind. Suddenly, I feel sick. 

"Tord?" 

I groggily lift my head from the suffocating thoughts, shaking away the all too vivid memories from the past that have led to this.  Tom's digital eyes stare at me with their comforting green glow from the other side of my desk. Thankfully, it is no longer from the other side of the room. About a week has passed since we had made up and have both been finding excuses to be close. I'm glad too. The distance from before was actually beginning to drive me insane.  It has been easier since I gave him a promotion to my second in command, much to Patrycks protests. The only thing it changed really was status and how much time we spend together. Which, of course, has been a lot more, hopefully without raising too much suspicion. Paul and Patryck are still my right-hand men. Nothing will change that. 

"Yes, Tom?" I smile slightly to ease any concern he may have. I also have allowed Tom to be a bit more casual when it is just us, both in attire and behavior. This also included the use of our real names. I still liked power, but I didn't want him to be constantly tense around me... Am I going soft? 

"You okay? The last time you had that look, you almost broke the desk." 

We both knew what he was talking about, the day we told each other the truth about our feelings for once and maybe became a thing? What are we anyway? Neither of us had officially asked the other out yet...

I smile, reminiscing in the memory that, even though I know it was a week ago, feels like yesterday. Little does Tom know, I actually did break the desk. There is only a small crack where my robot hand collided with the hard wood that was left behind after I had Paul fix the hole I had made. Opps. I mentally give myself a small pat on the back for the strength and durability I have put into this robot arm. 

Oh yeah, Tom asked me a question. 

"Uh... what?" I completely forgot what he had said to me.  

"I'll... take that as a no." He sighed. He stands up but not without a very dramatic and exaggerated eye roll. Not even having digital eyes could stop him from that. He places the files he was sorting through on an empty chair and rounds the desk to stand behind me. His warm arms are suddenly draped around my neck, and he leans down with his boney chin pressing into my good shoulder as he rests his head there. His touch was still calming all the same.