Chapter Eight: Finally Arrived

The ride to Hogwarts was fairly uneventful, and besides getting some candy from the woman who pushed a cart down the hall, and talking to the three other boys-Percy didn't do much. 

Percy did learn about the bias between the Houses though, that was something he had seen coming but not to the extent it was. The Houses all had an opinion on the other Houses, not many of which were good. Apparently Hufflepuffs were weak, pushovers, and not particularly good at anything besides plants and animals. Ravenclaws were stuck up know-it-alls that played teacher's pet and would look at you funny if you didn't know the answers to something. Slytherins were rude, lairs, bigoted, and ruthless along with being whiny and big babies that "cry to their daddy about how much better the others are and say it's unfair." 

That last one seemed to be personal, especially for the Twins. 

If Percy was to take a shot in the dark, he'd think the others probably thought Gryffindors were stubborn bastards, spotlight hoggers, and thought they were better than everyone else. 

Gods it was the two camps all over again. But at least the camps could listen to reason and the rift between them wasn't based on how they were raised but ancient history between the cultures. 

These poor kids were raised with a certain level of hate for the other houses. For those they found strange even in magical standers. 

Sighing, Percy resigned himself to the task of healing the festering wound that was the rift between the Houses. They'd never make it out of a war if they didn't work together, if they couldn't figure out that just because someone values something other than what you value it doesn't make them the enemy. 

Their views on the other Houses were disturbing, especially the Slytherins. There was no way that everyone that claimed that House was exactly the same, it just wasn't possible. Now, sure there probably was quite a few that followed old ideals . . . But that's how they were raised, they don't know different! And you can't call their ideals old when yours are just as stagnated. 

You don't get both. 

"We ought to get dressed, don't you think Fred?" George tilted his head, still smirking. 

"Yes! Let's!" Fred chimed in. 

The four boys changed into their robes, three out of the four tying red and gold ties around their collars. The last of the four, Percy himself, just draped the black tie with the Hogwarts Crest over his neck. He wasn't going to tie it, at least not right now. He hated ties with a passion. 

Too constricting. 

Speaking of which . . .

"How the hell do you guys put up with these robes?" Percy grumbled as he tried to sort himself out. They billowed out, which itself wasn't bad, but add on that there was just too much fabric and the fact he had to wear a sweater vest over the white dress shirt already . . . It was a mess. "I swear, I will be wearing this awful thing as little as possible!" 

Fred chuckled as George snickered, Lee just gave him a sympathetic look. "You get used to it." Lee explained, trying and failing to make Percy feel better about the whole situation. 

"Yeah, no." Percy rolled his eyes, growled to himself, and gave up. "I give up!" With a frustrated groan, the Demigod shucked off the robe, draping it over his seat as he went about tying his tie. Of the two evils he would take the tie, at least he can loosen that and not feel like he's drowning in fabric.

Rolling up his dress sleeves to his elbows, Percy kept up his grumbling at the outfit. Finally he tucked the tie into his sweater vest, losing it around his neck, and unbuttoning the first two buttons of his shirt. Nowhere did it tell him he couldn't.