The High Inquisitor Does What?

Percy was eating breakfast when the girl next to him got the newspaper. She always got the Daily Prophet, reading it while they ate. The girl had coarse black hair and brown eyes, her skin was a light coco color with darker freckles. If Percy remembered correctly her name was Avia, she was a sixth year.

Avia gasped and covered her mouth as she read. Percy looked at her with a raised eyebrow before leaning over her shoulder to see what was going on, but the words were scrambled together so Percy just waited to ask questions. Avia finished reading and had wide eyes. "What's going on?" Percy asked as he set down his cup. 

"Umbridge was made High Inquisitor of Hogwarts." Avia shook her head, now everyone around them was listening. "That means she will be investigating every teacher and she can make rules without addressing Dumbledore. She has the right to do whatever she wants." Now everyone was shocked. 

Percy let that information settle into his mind. "This means we need to stick by our teachers and make it as hard as possible for her to get at them." People now stared at Percy as he talked, who was not even really paying attention to them. "Be nice, and say how much you love the teachers every time she is in our classes. Say we would be lost without that teacher. Of course teachers like McGonagall won't need so much help but others like Trelawney will."

The other Hufflepuffs nodded to let him know they understood. Percy wasn't even trying to band them together, but it looks like he did. "In other words, be Hufflepuffs." He said with a twinkle in his eyes, the others started grinning as they got up to go to classes. 

His first class of the day was with the pink toad herself. In DADA class they were told to read the second chapter of the book. Problem was Percy had already read up to chapter five, Hermione had already read the whole book. Percy gritted his teeth while he reread the chapter. Hopefully Harry would do the same. 

His History of Magic class was the same as always with the teacher droning on and Percy fighting to stay awake. After lunch the were back to classes. 

During Divination Umbridge was in the class. Percy watched every move the Pink Toad made as he talked with the boy who sat next to him. Percy made up a dream as the guy, a Slytherin with straight black hair that was pulled back into a small pony tail and bright blue eyes, was trying to make sense of the text book. The boy blushed every time he talked to Percy, who was still looking over at the teachers. "P-Percy?" 

Percy whipped his head over to the boy and smiled. "Yes?" 

"When. . . When did you have this dream?" The boy went bright red as he started twirling a piece of his hair that fell out of his pony tail out of nervousness. 

"Two nights ago. And Peter right?" The boy cringed but nodded. "Is it not Peter?" Percy smiled softly and cocked his head to the side. 

"U-um. . . I prefer Piper. . ." The kid cringed as if they were expecting Percy to yell or something. 

"Really? I have a friend named Piper, she's super cool." Percy smiled wide and continued. "I bet you'd like her. But Piper is a wonderful name and I think it suits you." The girl lit up like a lightbulb at his words. "Well Piper, I think we should get to work before the Pink Toad tries to come over here and ask us questions." They got back to work and tried to ignore the outburst of their teacher. 

Next they had Potions. Snape wasn't pleasant with their class but he seemed a bit tamer around Percy. He handed back the Moonstone essays and said how he had graded based on how they would have scored on the O.W.L.s. Apparently people had gotten 'D's but Percy still didn't know what his grade meant. So he leaned over to the girl beside him, a Ravenclaw with red hair, and asked her what an 'O' meant. 

"That means Outstanding, it's the highest grade you can get on an owl!" The girl gaped at Percy. "It goes O then E for exceeds expectations, A for acceptable, P for poor, D for dreadful, T for troll." She blinked. "Did you get an O? I got an A." Percy showed the girl and she went wide-eyed. "How? This is Snape we're talking about here!" The girl seemed bewildered but Percy fought his blush as he brushed it aside. 

They had to make a Strengthening Solution for that class and Percy's turned out alright he guessed. Snape had shook his head before giving Hufflepuff five more points and dismissing them.

And when they all filed out Percy went to the common room so he could do some homework. That's when he started hearing about what Harry pulled in DADA. Percy fought the sigh that built in him as he walked down the hall to dinner later. Percy ran into the Slytherin girl from earlier, she smiled at him and they walked to dinner together. The girl and him walked passed a bunch of Slytherins who just stared at them. 

"What's with them?" Percy asked.

"Oh those bloody fools are stuck with the ideas of their parents." Piper rolled her eyes. 

"Well their loss." Percy grinned and Piper grinned back. 

During dinner the captain of the Quidditch team came over to tell him they were having practice tomorrow after the last class and before dinner. Percy nodded and went back to eating. But the whole time Percy was watching the group of Gryffindors that he had come to school with. 

When they left Percy followed. And yet again he confronted Harry, but this time Harry was on his own heading to detention. 

"Harry, again really?" Percy leaned against the wall as Harry turned to face him. Percy had taken off his robes and sweater yet again. "I told you, several times now, that you need to control that temper. It's a lesson I wished someone had told me when I was younger, it would have helped a lot." Harry made to retort but Percy sighed. "Listen, I'm here to help, I agreed to come here away from my family, to help however I can. But nothing will happen if you can't get your head around-" Harry's fist was bunched together and Percy caught sight of the white scar on his hand. 

"Harry, scars can fuel anger. Trust me they can. But they can also be used to set goals. They can remind you that if you didn't take those scars someone you love could be carrying them around instead. So," Percy pushed off the wall and crossed his arms taking his hands out of his pockets. "Learn to control that temper and we can get somewhere. See you around." Percy waved as he turned to go back to his dorm. 

Percy had IMed Annabeth earlier and talked about random things. But as he woke up in the middle of the night with images of a hallway with a locked door at then end flashing in his mind, he knew that he needed to talk to her again. So he slipped out of the dorm and into the commons. 

Annabeth said that he didn't have enough to go on right now, and he said he agreed but had to talk to her about it because it was unnerving. Annabeth smiled to him and they spent some time just talking before Percy cut the connection and went to get at least two more hours of sleep.