Protecting The Mind

That night, Percy's dreams were filled with viscous laughter. 

When he finally found the source, it was Harry with a twisted look on his face, and a pale hand on his shoulder. The pale hand didn't lead anywhere, but the laughter from Harry was horrible and ungodly. 

Percy jolted from his sleep. 

He kept clenching and unclenching his fists, trying to get a hold on his racing thoughts. 

He checked the time, only a few hours before he needed to be up. Better than he had been doing, at least. Percy got out of bed, and scratched at his chest as he rotated his arm. 

Even with having the DA, over break was the first time he had worked out in a long time. He needed to do something, something to get that laughter out of his head. And when he was at Camp or anywhere else, exercising always cleared his mind. 

So Percy went into the Common Room. 

He cleared a place on the floor and started to warm up. 

Hours passed and the constant motion made a fog in his head, let him think things through instead of being overwhelmed by a cold voice. 

Poppy was the first one up, and when she found Percy doing pull-up using a pipe in the ceiling that they were going to hang pots from, she giggled and sat down on the couch. He knew when Poppy was up the others weren't far behind but he was in the middle of a set. 

So he kept going. 

By the time he dropped to the floor and stretched out his arms again, he gained a bit of an audience. "You're all up early." He mused as he walked back to his room. 

In fact they were, they still had forty-five minutes before breakfast. So Percy grabbed his things and made his way to the showers. 

Poppy was waiting for him outside, along with Piper, Tommy, and Luna. Bo was even there, he had left the kitten in his dorm curled up on the bed. Percy had his robes and vest over his bag and his shirt wasn't fully buttoned. The yellow and black tie was slung over his neck and he still held onto his towel, drying his hair. 

"What?" He asked as he finally let the towel drop from his head. Percy finished buttoning his shirt and tied his tie while he friends talked. 

"We heard you had an early start to the morning." Piper scolded. Percy chuckled as the girl crossed her arms and frowned. "We know you're weird, but do you have to tell the whole school?" When Percy looked into the Slytherin's eyes he saw the teasing light she tried to hide.

"I woke up early and didn't waste it, so?" He ruffled Poppy's hair and started to lead the group down to the Great Hall.

"People are talking about you, Percy." Luna said dreamily, her hands were folded in front of her, and her eyes were closed as they made their way down the hall. 

"What are they saying?" He rolled his eyes as he rolled his sleeves up. 

Tommy cleared his throat, Percy glanced over at him with a raised eyebrow. "They are saying you are fairly strange. Though that is more of a male voice, most of the females are just calling you handsome and amazing." Tommy's cheeks got a bit pink as he explained and he cleared his throat again. "But that has been going on all year, the only new thing is that they wonder how much you work out while you're here." 

Piper snorted and rolled her eyes. "And the guys are now trying to make it seem like they work out too. Though most of them don't know the difference between a push-up and pull-up." Poppy giggled at that, and Piper bit her lip. 

Luna just laughed and Percy smiled at them all. "Well then, I'll just get a tiny bit more glares than usual." He waved it off as they entered the Great Hall. 

Eyes were indeed turned to him, but he ignored them as he sat down at his usual spot and Poppy sat down beside him. 

His head was still cleared from the work out, so he could smile easily while eating. 

But his day got worse as he took a glance at Hermione and saw that she needed to talk to him. He nodded and went back to eating. 

He met up with Hermione on his way to his lesson with Snape that night. "So what happened?" 

Hermione started talking, all about what the newspaper was saying. That there had been a massive break out of Askaban and they were the top Voldemort supporters. That they were blaming Sirius because the Ministry couldn't accept responsibility for it after Dumbledore's warning. About the death of the Ministry worker. 

Then about Hagrid getting suspended. 

Percy sighed as he sat down on a bench off to the side. "It's a lot of information, things we need to sift through." He ran a hand through his hair. "Is this why Harry has been shoot daggers at me all day?" He growled. Hermione nodded sadly. "Fine, I don't care." 

"What are we going to do?" The Gryffindor was shaking. 

"We are going to think this through." She had also told him that Harry had fallen down laughing last night. "Voldemort is happy about the break out and the murder. We know the Dementors are responsible for it. We know that there is a reason he wanted that worker dead, and it's probably really big." He stood back up and crossed his arms. "We know Voldemort can get into Harry's mind. You need to make sure he works with Snape." 

She bristled at this. 

"I know you don't like him, I don't either." He held out a hand and kept her from talking back. "But he is really good at this, and even if he might be working for Voldemort, he is teaching him how to shield his mind. That is important. Snape is also teach me, so even if Harry is uncomfortable with Snape, tell him I'm more than willing to pass on what I know." 

Percy took a breath. 

"Speaking of which, I'd like to teach you guys next DA meeting." Hermione opened her mouth but Percy cut her off again. "I know what you're going to say. 'He's only after Harry.' But he isn't, he's after all of you and he'll use any of you to get to him. It's an important skill for all of you to learn." 

"Fine, Percy." She started playing with a piece of her hair. 

"Listen." Percy placed a hand on her shoulder and made her look up at him. "Umbridge is going down. The Ministry will get what's coming to them. It will be fine." 

Hermione smiled a bit wickedly. "I already have a plan." So she leaned up and whispered in his ear, what she was already working on. 

Percy grinned at her when she finished. "That, is amazing. You make sure it happens." 

Hermione nodded and ran off, leaving Percy to his next lesson.