Occlumency

The day after break, when the kids were all eating dinner, Percy received a note. His Prefect had dropped it off to him, with a small smile and wave goodbye. 

Poppy looked at him curiously as he read over what was scrawled on the piece of thick paper. 

He smiled at the younger Hufflepuff. "Don't worry Dumbledore just wants to talk to me again. Probably just thought of more questions." He whispered to her, a eye roll and smile from him easing her into comfort.  

In truth Percy didn't know what the old Wizard wanted from him. 

After finished up, Percy walked over to the head table. "You wanted to see me, Sir?" He asked Dumbledore who was starting to walk down the steps. 

"Yes, my boy." He waved a hand and Professor Snape slunk forward. "The Professor tells me you are doing extremely well in Potions." It wasn't a question, and Percy knew that Dumbledore had been watching his progress in this school closely. No doubt thinking it was all to do with his grandfather on his mother's side. 

"I certainly hope so." He forced a blush to his cheeks, rubbing the back of his neck. He couldn't seem confident or controlled. He had to appear like some random teenager that just happens to have Voldemort's blood running through his veins. "Is that all?" He creased his brow, acting truly confused, but knowing that there was some point to this. 

"No, my boy, I had something else." He steepled his fingers and his eyes twinkled. "Due to your dream, I have asked the Professor here to teach you a certain skill. It will let you protect your mind from outsiders. This skill is called Occlumency." He seemed to gage Percy's reaction. 

So Percy blinked and frowned. "Why just me?" 

"Well, young Harry will also be receiving lessons but at different times." Percy didn't ask if Harry Knew about his getting lessons too. Or if the boy thought he would be the only one to know these things. "What do you say?" 

Snape was scowling as usual, but his eyes were somewhat softer around Percy. 

"I would love to learn, and to be learning from such a talented Wizard would be a pleasure." Yes it made him a kiss-ass but he needed these people to trust him. He wasn't going to hurt them, but if he showed his true colors he would only frighten them. "When would I start?" 

Snape seemed pleased by Percy's answer, no longer scowling. He wasn't smiling, but he looked less like a disgruntled bat-more just slightly displeased. 

"Tomorrow, your free period is no longer free." The potions master said, bored and dry. 

"I'll be there." And with a nod he left his teachers. 

When his free period came to pass the next day Percy was inside the Potion's room. 

"Hello, Jackson." Snape frowned but his shoulders were loose. 

"Hello, Sir." At Percy's words Snape seemed to lighten. "I guess from your response, Harry's lesson didn't go so well?" His tone was light and joking. Teasing. Snape huffed what might have been a laugh and rolled his eyes. 

"You could say that." He drawled. "It would be an understatement." He pulled back his sleeves and held his wand out. "Now I am going to try and invade your mind, you need to push me out." He said nothing more as he flicked his wand towards Percy. "Legilimens!"

His vision swam, then his vision turned to memories. 

Eating cookies at five years old, his mom's smile and brown hair braided back. Meeting Gabe for the first time. The first punch thrown-No. 

You're not seeing that.

Percy growled faintly, shoving Snape's mind out with a wave of himself. When his vison cleared Snape was panting across the room, Percy's own breathing was a little hard. No one would be getting into his mind to see shit like that if he could help it. 

"Well done." Snape straightened up, a faint smile ghosting his lips. "Very well done for a first time. Who was that man?" His voice was cool, distant. As if he was trying to sound like he didn't care. 

"My old step-dad. He died years ago." Percy's eyes flashed at the thought of that smelly piece of garbage. "Nice tactic though, not telling me exactly how to save myself. Riling me up to make me mad-make me not able to concentrate. Though I saw through it, you didn't tell me how because you can't really do that. It's different for everyone." Percy sighed, straightening his robes. There was no smile on his face, and no matter how much he tried he couldn't pull his mask back on. 

"Percy, I-" Snape began. 

"No, just continue the lesson." And that's what they did. Percy's expression never shifted, his eyes dull and mouth a hardline. 

Only when he drifted back to his dorm did his face change at all. Poppy had been waiting for him. 

"Hey there Percy!" She clung to him, smiling wide. Percy tossed his robes he'd been holding to the couch and hugged the girl back. "You seem upset. What's wrong?" Her amber eyes narrowed as she frowned slightly. 

"I'm fine Poppy. Just tired I guess." He shrugged and smiled at the younger girl. "Let's go to sleep. See you in  the morning." He patted the top of her head and she smiled up at him before turning and skipping into her dorm. 

Percy sighed, grabbed his things and shuffled into his room. 

That night he barely slept, choosing to stay inside his bed just to Poppy would sleep. Percy knew he'd be fine, this was just a funk he needed to pull himself out of. And When Poppy pulled him to breakfast with Piper, Tommy, and Luna, he started to.