-37-

After leaving the diner, I made my Way towards the record shop I had found my first day here; that seemed like so long ago now. I smiled slightly as it came into view, mainly because I could see the top of an afro moving through the isles inside. I opened the door, and as soon as Ray had heard the little bell that signaled a customer had come inside, he jogged over to greet me, "Frank! Hey! It's been a while!"

"Hi, Ray. Yeah, it has, hasn't it? I'm sorry. I've just had a lot going on. But I figured I come by and say hey and see how you're doing?" I giggled as his fro gently swayed back and forth.

"I've been alright, the store has been keeping pretty busy, so that's good. How are you?" He questioned.

"Eh, I'm okay..." I mumbled, Ray shooting me a wary glance in response, "trust me." I tried my best to reassure him, but I could tell he wasn't completely buying it. Eventually, he just nodded and let it slide.

"So what've you been up to, Frank?" He asked as he started walking back through the isles, making sure everything was where it needed to be.

"Not too much really, just school and playing guitar. What've you been up to? Aside from working that is..." I trailed off as I heard a couple more people come inside.

"I mean, running the store is pretty much all I have time for. Every once in a while I'll play a little guitar, but that's about it. I keep pretty busy, you know?" He smiled and went to greet the new customers, leaving me to stand uncomfortably alone.

"Yeah, I get that." I meandered over to the door, calling out to Ray once more, "Bye, Ray. Good luck with your store!"

"Thanks man!" He called back, "I'll catch you later!"

I gave him a quick wave, tears beginning to well up in my eyes; I had two more stops to make.

---

I rang the doorbell and waited, the only sound I could hear was my own beating heart. It was as though time stood still, the way it did before.

Suddenly I heard rustling on the other side of the door, and my heart rate sped up even faster. The door swung open, and I breathed a slight sigh of relief as I stood face to face with none other than Linda Iero. "Hi..." Was all I could think to say to her.

She stood speechless for a few moments before grabbing me and pulling me into a tight embrace, an almost inaudible 'oh my goodness' falling from her lips.

We stood there together for a few minutes, just holding each other on what used to be my front porch. She was shaking, and I was fighting back tears.

Yes, what she had done to me was awful- unforgivable even- but she's still my mother. She raised me, cared for me when I was ill, threw me bombass birthday parties, and loved me when I needed it most. She wasn't behind what had happened... I know that. My 'father' was.

"My baby... I'm so sorry..." She gasped and held me even tighter. I know not seeing me has been killing her; she's made that quite obvious.

"Ma, it's okay... I know it wasn't your fault. Are you alright?" I questioned, knowing fully well that she was anything but alright. The woman was just skin and bones... She clearly hadn't been eating, or really keeping up with herself at all. And that broke my heart.

"Oh, yes dear I'm alright. How are you? Are you being treated well? Do you want to come inside?" She attempted to pull me through the doorway, but I resisted. I didn't have time to stay and chat; not if my 'dad' would be coming home soon.

"No, ma... I can't stay for long. I just wanted to come and check on you. Don't worry about me, okay?" She nodded, a tear slipping down her cheek. "I know you haven't been eating enough or taking care of yourself... But you need to. Promise me that you'll be alright and get back to being healthy once I step off this porch?"