-38-

I stayed the night next to that rock, the same as I had my second night here. Only this time, a 'friendly' stranger didn't find me and offer to protect me from the 'bears'. That was okay. I just bundled myself up and let sleep overtake me. I could finally rest easy.

I awoke suddenly, forgetting for a brief moment where I was. It came back to me soon enough though, and as the morning sun blazed above my head I decided it was time to head back to Miss Nora's and let Emma know that I had not, in fact, vanished into thin air.

I checked the time as I slipped inside, ignoring Ronnie as he shoved past me to catch the bus that was already outside. I didn't mind that I'd miss the bus, it wasn't too far a walk. And besides, it doesn't matter if I'm late or not anyway. Nothing could ruin my mood today anyway.

I saw Emma start to come downstairs, her eyes widening as she caught sight of me. I gave her a sheepish smile and a small wave. She was not amused.

"Frank! Where have you been?!" She whisper-yelled as she made her way to me.

"I'm sorry, there were a couple of things I needed to do and then I decided to hang out at one of the places for awhile. I lost track of time and fell asleep. I'll be at school though, don't worry." I pulled her into a hug and tried to pass her to head upstairs, but she held my arm.

"Frank you're freezing cold. How long have you been outside? You're going to get sick..."

"Just for a little while. I don't care if I get sick anyway. I've gotta go get ready for school now so I'm not too late." She nodded and begrudgingly released my arm, so I trotted upstairs to shower and throw on some fresher clothes.

After I got ready, I grabbed my backpack and smiled as I stepped back outside. School had already started, but that was okay. I'd probably get there near the beginning of second period, which was still plenty of time to see all of my friends. I felt the chilly wind blowing around me, and I loved every second of it. I don't think I've ever really taken the time to appreciate the energy and life that the wind brings with it.

Finally, the school came into view. I picked up my pace to a small jog and was soon inside getting my late pass and then standing in front of my classroom pulling the door open. The teacher waved me in and told me to have a seat after he gave me the note packet we'd be working on today. My eyes ran up and down the packet, and for once, I actually decided to do my work in class. Surprisingly, it made the day go by much faster, and before I knew it, the bell rang signaling my lunch period. I caught myself smiling as I met up with Brendon and Ryan. I walked with them to our table, trying to tune out the weird story Ryan was telling me about his obsession with cheese whiz.

Suddenly Pete and Patrick appeared.  They walked together towards our table, and as they approached I noticed that their hands just so happened to be interlocked. They both sat down nonchalantly, as though no one at the table had just seen them together. Brendon was the first to speak, "well..?"

"Well what?" Patrick asked as the blush crept up his cheeks.

"You know what..." Ryan giggled. "So are you guys like, official now?" Patrick and Pete glanced at each other and then back to us before Pete nodded happily. "Yay congrats you guys!" Ryan cried as he engulfed both of them in a hug.

"Yeah congrats guys," Brendon smiled, "now just make sure you stay away from cheese wiz..."

"Oh shut up Brenny, you know you liked it," Ryan playfully nudged Brendon before they both began talking about cheese wiz again. I smiled, a real smile, as I took everything in; my friends were pretty fucking great.

As the final bell rang, I made sure to meet up with my friends once more. I walked with them to the busses and then said my goodbyes before beginning my walk back to the orphanage. The weather was gorgeous here, how had I never noticed that before?