Episode 25

Twilight, Thomas and Friends

Episode XXV (25): Scare Dares

It was Autumn on Sodor. The engines thought of the upcoming Halloween. The change in season also brought plenty of Mist. The engines love the time of Halloween. They like the Children dressing up, and hearing ghost stories from the other engines.

Alfred: Wow, Pinkie. It must have been fun to pretend you were a ghost to scare Twilight.

Pinkie: Yeah! I sure scared the buffers off of her.

Twilight: Thanks for reminding me. Then, I came right back at ya with that dragon.

Pinkie: Thanks for reminding me. 

That night, Twilght and Pinkie double-headed a freight train to get to  Thomas' Branchline. On their way, the mist rolled down.

Pinkie: I can't nearly see a thing!

Twilight: Neither can I. But good thing it's just mist that's slowing us.

In the distance, Pinkie saw a light.

Pinkie: What's that?

Twilight: That looks like an amber lamp. Slow down. It means proceed with caution.

So the two engines proceeded slowly through the misty night, until they came to a red signal. Then the two heard an eerie, faint whistle.

Pinkie: Did you hear something?

Twilight: That sounds like another engine. But I don't know for sure.

The whistle came again.

Pinkie: I'm scared...

Twilight: Don't worry, Pinkie! I'll protect you!

The whistling got closer, and closer, until it stopped just short of the signalbox.

Pinkie: Weird. Very weird indeed.

By morning, the mist cleared.

Twilight: We should check that line out again sometime.

Pinkie: Like go back there tonight? No way!

Twilight: The Dragon says otherwise...

Pinkie: Okay... I'll give it a go.

And so they did. That night they did the same thing they did last night. Only this time, they saw a sign beyond the amber lamp: Beware the Viaduct.

And there were gates like a level crossing, witch were closed, and the signal was red.

Twilight: Let's get out of here until the weather's better.

Pinkie: I'm right with you, Twi!

That morning, Thomas came to see the two.

Thomas: Thanks for telling me about that viaduct. Sir Topham Hatt has arranged to repair it. It'll soon be right as rain.

Later, Sir Topham Hatt came to see the two.

Sir Topham Hatt: Twilight and Pinkie,  you need to push some freight cars in that old line tonight.

Pinkie: Yes sir.

When night fell, the two engines were ready. Their fires were burning nicely. Suddenly, an Owl hooted, and Rainbow Dash thundered by with her train. Twilight and Pinkie were given a shock.

Freight Cars: Oh Look! Twilight and Pinkie are Spooked!

They laughed and laughed.

Twilight: Be quiet!

Pinkie: Yeah! We're not scared! 

But they were. They set off into the darkness with headlamps on. A little later, the fog rolled down. As they approached the same location, they saw the amber light again.

Twilight: Here we go, Pinkie.

Then, unknown to both engines, the gates at the junction mysteriously closed by themselves, and the signal turned to red. A whistle also sounded. The freight cars had seen it all, and they too, were scared.

Freight Cars: Faster, Faster! There's a ghost about! 

Twilight: Stop! Stop!

But it was too late. CRASH! The cars burst through the gates. A mysterious figure watched the two as the went into the distance. Ahead, a landslide was blocking the track. Twilight and Pinkie breaked hard. BANG! The freight cars hit some of the rubble. SNAP! A coupling broke, and the cars plunged over the side, into the ravine  below. CRASH!

Twilight and Pinkie were shocked. Then they heard a chuffing noise.

Twilight: That is another engine!

Twilight's Driver: This is our ghost, girls. It's Merlin, the experimental engine!

Merlin was cross.

Merlin: I tried to warn you about this landslide. Why couldn't you pay attention?

Pinkie: We're sorry, Merlin. We couldn't stop those cars from running away like that.

Merlin: Tell you what. Get this line and Signal box in good shape for me and I promise I won't spook you again!

Pinkie and Twilight happily agreed. And soon enough, Merlin's wish was granted.

Sir Topham Hatt: Let me just say you are the friendliest ghost engine on the Island. We are glad to have you here, Merlin.

Everyone cheered. Including Merlin, who was loudest of all.

THE END. Happy Halloween!