Twenty-Two

I don't know how I managed to fall asleep inside the car but when I woke up, the slightest movement is painful and I'm having a bit trouble breathing. I do know I was leaning against the car door and I'm partially seated, slouched, at driver's seat.

The car isn't wide enough for my outstretched feet so one is bent and the other one is partially falling off the passenger's seat.

I let my fingers move first, taking a deep breath. I sensed a hint of that familiar perfume and I know my fingers are knotted in her locks.

Of course.

That's why I was having trouble breathing.

I slowly opened my eyes and I could say through the discomfort and aching body parts, the sight I've woken up to is practically heaven.

Taylor's head is laid on my chest, her curly blonde locks messy and scattered all over my shirt. I could only see a partial of her face as her curly bangs are in her face but I know she looks exquisitely beautiful.

They said, if you want to know the true beauty of a person, take a look at what they look like when they've just woken up. She hasn't even woken up yet and that already settles the argument.

Seeing as I did have trouble opening my eyes, and the sun is still fresh climbing in the skies, it might just be still early. I struggled but I managed to look at my wristwatch which would probably grow roots on my wrist because I haven't taken it off in a while.

Five something. I squinted my eyes to actually see the rest and it says, 5:17 a.m.

Still too early.

I started playing the scenes inside my head but there isn't much to go around. After walking through the park, Taylor and I settled inside the car and simply talked about things, some of them we have talked about before. Horrible cycle, really but I had no complaints against it.

I hummed a bit and closed my eyes again. Maybe my whole body hurts but I couldn't really care at the moment. I'm too tired to even think of it.

What felt like just seconds after, my eyes snapped open at the loud sound of something ringing. My cellphone.

Funny, I haven't had a phone call in a while.

I tried my best to reach it from my pocket and I answered the call. "Y-Yeah?" I croaked out as my voice is a bit hoarse in the morning. I could barely even open my eyes.

"You sound horrible. Why? The Swifts roasted you alive?" Jesus Christ, this sounded like one of my brothers.

"Who is this?" I asked sleepily, trying to maintain a normal, if not, lower volume.

"Your handsomest brother," Franco replied. Only he is that proud. "Little bird told me you had dinner with the Swifts."

"With the Gleesons," I corrected. "And I assume it's Cara."

"Well, who else?" He said and laughed. It was a little too loud that I had to stretch my arm away. My senses are sensitive in the morning, my irritation levels are higher and my tolerance lower.

Taylor moved a little, one of her hands crumpled the fabric of my shirt. A little more noise and she'll probably wake up. She could sleep easily, that I know. But what I do not know if she wakes up easily. In fact, I don't remember.

"Yeah, erm, Franco, could you just call later? It's sort of a bad time," I requested and I'm hoping he'll let me slide.

"What the bloody hell do you mean bad time? This is the only time I got Jer and Vince here. You two, scream at Harry."