Fifty-Six

I felt better. I wish I could say I was dead heartbroken and as blank as a ghost could be but I felt a little more alive than I was before. It was a relief of finally having a nice talk with Taylor, without her crying, without me wanting to be angry, without the questions. . . just without us.

The midnight thing still struck me but I found it easier to walk around in the dark place, playing with toys every once in a while. It went on for days but I couldn't worry.

The family dinner was a bit more enlightening than I expected seeing as there were children around joining us. They lit up the place for their parents, joking and telling stories.

"There was one time when Uncle Franco taught us how to climb that highest room in the third floor! He taught us how to climb through the barriers!" Vincent Brent said, causing the kids to laugh and the adults to turn their head on him and smile.

"I did not!" Franco yelled and I knew it was a lie as I was there with them that time. It was during last Valentine's Day and we both agreed to be babysitters for a few hours. And well, I was the one that did most of the teaching.

There I sat hoping they won't drag my name in the pot as Vienne is already glaring at Franco.

"Co, you might be older but you have got to get your own children to teach these things!" Vienne said yet her voice was light.

"Yeah, Co, get your own kids," Darwin teased as if he has them when really, he's at the same page as me and Franco.

"Uncle Harry helped teach us too!" Jericho said, laughing later as he saw my reaction.

"You too, get your own," Vienne said, faking a glare and successfully making me laugh at that one.

"He laughs! Oh I thought the day would never come," Quentin said. Something might have changed because I've never heard him joke, much less talk.

"He talks! Oh I thought thought the day would never come," Franco retorted to him and there were rounds of laughter. As Franco was right beside me, he winked, saying "Told you it'd be fun."

If I had known I would have came earlier. It was fun.

William started asking about how our lives are going and then the conversation split itself apart into groups. I observed first and strangely, they were really talking. William is talking with Grace and Quentin. Gemma is preoccupied with the kids and so was Darwin. Franco is talking with the kids as well. Vienne is right in front of me. . .

"Still never got one of your own, huh?" Vienne asked, taking a sip from her red wine and her eyes glancing at her children.

"I probably do, their mums just don't introduce them to me," I said, and honestly, I wanted to take back what I said. Nope. No freaking way.

She smirked, and I saw myself being a woman and smirking. God, I do look like my sister. I never even stared for too long. "I pray that's not the case with you. Have any girlfriends?"

"Not since the last one, unfortunately," I replied as she set down her glass.

"Oh yeah. Her." I don't think she even remembers.

I raised an eyebrow, surprised I'm even entertained by this conversation. "You don't remember her."

"Course I don't," she said so immediately. "The last girlfriend I remember you have was uh - I don't really recall the name but starts with a 'T.' The sweet one, gave my boys cute presents."

"That was my last girlfriend," I pointed out, smiling right after. She caught me with that "sweet" part, that was Taylor.

Vienne blinked, seemingly unable to understand that I really meant what I said until Franco butted in. "Yep, last girlfriend was sunshine, Taylor. Pretty, would have wanted to date her but unfortunately, became Harry's."