Twenty-Six

Gran needed to rest so she went inside for a nap leaving Cara and I outside. She borrowed my yo-yo and simply played with it as she was walking around.

The wind was stronger for me as I was on the tire tied with a rope to a hopefully strong branch. Standing up and holding onto the thick rope, making sure my grip was as tight as ever as falling would hurt.

Autumn leaves kept on falling, dancing along with winds. It's nice to hear the rustle of leaves and grass instead of the horns and nonsense talk in the city. This feels much better.

I swung back and forth as I conversed with Cara.

We talked for hours, reminiscing about our old  memories about the place. The fields where we used to run in, the places we hide in, this tree we used to play around in. . . Things.

We were there until nightfall until she said the bugs were getting at her and she wants to help gran with the dinner. I stayed behind as she went along. I was more than comfortable here.

They say if the air is still fresh, there are fireflies around. . . Looking up, I still see a lot of them, blinking yellow lights. Even when I look at the pond, their reflection flies all over. They're getting fewer though.

Speaking of the pond, I knew when I was a kid,  in times of autumn, I'd grow very excited as winter is coming. I always couldn't wait until it freezes over.

Minutes later, they called me in for a wonderful dinner. After that, we went separate ways.

In my room, I looked at my closet, things I had when I was nineteen. I looked down on my sets of shoes, glad to say my style throughout the years never changed. My skating boots are still there, customized.

I remember my brothers making fun of me because I am rather fond of skating but that never did bother me. At least, I don't slip on ice like they do.

Gran comes in, asking me if I'm comfortable.

I nodded.

She told me she'll see me in the morning and hopes I sleep well, then she walks out.

I slipped into something more comfortable, clothing up top mainly nothing since gran likes to keep the heat up. I pulled the sheets over my head and went to sleep.

The tranquillity of the beautiful place had me dreaming of winter and spring, summer skies and beautiful waters. One colour in particular stands out a lot. . .

My eyes snapped open with the sound of my ringtone. I gasped quietly, searching for my phone, or glasses, whichever catches my grasp first. Rubbing my eyes with my other hand, I took my phone and answered the call.

"Er, h-hello?"

"Oh. Did -- Did I wake you up? I did? Oh God, I did not mean to, I didn't think you'd be asleep too early."

Taylor.

I looked at my wristwatch instead of my phone clock. I only realised it when I saw the time, 12:14 a.m.

"It's midnight, Taylor."

"What? Montreal and New York doesn't have too much time differences," she pointed out.

I didn't say anything to that. Instead, I said, "You woke me up again."

I heard a light laughter from the other side. Ringing and beautiful, it's almost lulling me back to sleep.

I wanted to ask her why she called as I stared out at the scenery to my window. I could barely see the moon as all I saw was a tiny slice of light with the firefly-like stars around it. Once again, I could feel my eyes getting dragged down by the weariness but I found myself trying to stay awake.