Fifty-Seven

Ensorcel was the same way it was before I destroyed it. It was beautiful, it was actually a paradise though I've never given much thought. The windows had a few photographs pasted on them and I know just who took them. They were pictures of the shop before Timmy and I changed it.

I smiled, knowing who is behind it. I might see her around the streets and I took a mental note to thank her later on.

I walked in, kids playing all around and pointing to their parents what they want to buy. It was a place of colour and liveliness. I felt goosebumps rising on my skin, a toddler bumped into me but continued running after. I accidentally stepped on a Lego but I'm lucky enough to have thick soles. I kept walking, trying hard not to kick anything or anyone.

Machinery had surrounded me for years, being with a load of humans, bright and cheery warmth and everything else about it was estranging. I kept glancing over and over to different directions, seeing how only a few things changed.

Memories of me tossing these aside, breaking shelves and never minding my artwork of destruction came sweeping over my head. It's all coming back. Just like that, I'm back in Queens.

I approached the counter immediately, seeing Vannie right behind it. She's aged, hair longer, eyes a bit tired but still Vannie. Things were genuine with her face as she painted the ultimate surprise of seeing me.

"No. . . freaking. . . way," she muttered, very slowly, one word after the other. . . "Wow. This is so weird."

"Hi Vannie," I greeted back with a smile. "Thanks for taking care of the place."

She was smiling too widely like she really missed me. Well, I missed her too, she'd been a great friend. She sort of reminds me of C from the factory. Oh, I'm going to miss that factory but I'm here now.

"It is part of the job description," she said, in her teenager-way as if she never even changed but I liked it that way. "Nice to have you back, boss."

"Nice to be back," I told her honestly. I asked her if my space of the building was still unoccupied and she said it was. She said they left it the way it really was so it was going to take a while to break into.

Three long days later, after finally settling in once again and clearing off all the mythical creatures from my space of magic, I took a quick stroll around town. Since I didn't have my car yet, I took a taxi and a quick train ride before I was able to get to Cara's place.

After nearing five years, she was still in that apartment. She might have been very comfortable as she never left. I've kept up with her, continuing our old tradition of chips, booze and stories about past few hundred years we weren't together. We talked a lot too, how she did it right after.

I almost did comment about her little single status but then she said she's dating someone and well, good for her. I left a few hours later. I hope whoever she is dating takes care of her the way I would.

It took me months to adjust but just one moment to realise what dad really wanted for me, why he left me this place. It was unexplainable, how kids would see the place and just smile. Even when they just pass by, even when they just enter and leave without buying anything, they seemed like they won the world.

Taylor was right about that, this place has the world. She saw it the way my father did and she was the one who tried to make me understand. I'll forever be grateful of her for that.

I read my dad's journals every once in a while and at most I help around the shop. Cara visits, I visit her. Around autumn, every Thursday, I'd see Taylor around, often alone. We never talked as it had always been coincidences that I get distracted for one second and then the next is, she's out of the door.