Twenty-Seven

Ever since I woke up, or, well, maybe before I went back to sleep last night, I knew I couldn't leave the place just yet. Cara will be leaving, of course and I had told her that over breakfast as we are all eating some wonderful toast and some coffee with Gran.

"You're not coming back with me?" She asked. "You've decided already, babe?"

"Look at you two, you'd make a fine couple," gran cooed.

Cara rolled her eyes in a disgusted way, gran didn't see it, she made sure only I did leaving me to grin at her. She took a big bite out of her toast and said, "Gran, I would never ever be his girlfriend again. Besides, someone else got me covered."

"Of course, the girl from America."

Gran's maid passed by, taking a few seconds to remind grandma of her meds and walked away immediately after.

"I'm not promising anything with Taylor," I said, the silence breaking off after. Cara pretended she hadn't heard as she simply kept on eating but gran had the most confused face of the century. I took a sip first and said, "Things come and go all the time."

"The same law does not apply to people," Cara pointed out with a smile. "Do not let any girl you are dating hear you say that, they would like certainty."

She was serious, that was all I could tell from her expression and tone.

I nodded, "Alright, then."

After, we all spent our time chatting about our sane old lives. We talked about gran's daily life, how she goes on, when she plays bingo with her friends and the like. There were times when they'd touch the Taylor subject but I couldn't really give much detail about her.

The weekend is coming to a close and Cara already needed to go back to New York as she had already missed one work day. She can't afford to lose another.

Without her request, I said I'd accompany her to the airport.

Taxis rarely come to this side of town so we have to walk a long while. It's nice to walk during the afternoon, and gran said she'll be playing bingo anyways so it's alright if I go home a little later than usual.

"I noticed something," Cara said as we were walking on a long, quiet road. With the sun and the wind coming along our way, she took it upon herself to use her scarlet umbrella whereas I was never much of a user.

"What?" I asked, putting one hand in my pocket.

"You tend to avoid talking about Taylor," she answered.

"I don't."

"You do."

There was no point arguing about it. I sighed and stayed quiet. I can't win arguments with ladies who already had their heart set on their opinion, I know that already.

My phone rang a moment later. Cara snatched it from my pocket and smiled as she saw the screen. "Speaking of the blue-eyed angel. It's Taylor." Then she handed it to me. "I'll keep my distance."

I heard her trolley roll behind her. She walked to the other side of the road as if that helped. She'll still listen either way.

I answered the call, "Yes?"

"You're not in your shop, are you?"

"Do tell how you've came up with that assumption," I said until I recalled we talked about it last night. She already knows I'm in England.

"It's windy," she replied. "I could hear the wind."

Always too observant. When I remained quiet, she took a deep breath and said, "Anyways, just checking. It's really boring over here because I'm waiting for the tour guide and he's like already twenty minutes late."