Twenty-Three

It bothered me.

I wish I could say it was comforting because she accepted but it bothers me. Of course, I was delighted about it, in fact, I was barely able to hide it from her. The smile in my tone was easily hinted and my heartbeat was too fast.

Well, that was an hour ago but it still bothered me.

I didn't regret it, I liked the idea of dating Taylor. She's nice, she's kind and she's a joy to be around. She's the kind of person who can bring the sunshine and the storm at the same time.

What bothers me is the thought that what if, what if she'll change her mind again? I do know she wasn't as constant in her thoughts as I am.

And it bothers me that it IS bothering me. It doesn't feel right. I was usually more confident and less anxious.

Since I know I won't be getting my glasses in a while, I searched my room for my contact lenses. I rarely use them but I have no choice.

Right after I wore them, things are finer than crystal to my vision. It was relieving to not see near things blurry.

It wasn't so long after when Franco called again with my nephews, Jericho and Vincent Brent.

When I was given the chance, I rearranged the toys I've bought from several countries on my personal shelf. I looked through my phone gallery where I got them and when I got them. Lego houses, toy robots, remote control cars, limited edition board games and the like.

A toy shop. My dad usually would give me toys in every occasion he misses, which, is every occasion so I have an abundance of toys back home that I never gave or sold. Now, upon his death, he's given me enough toys to last the rest of my lifetime that he'll miss.

I wondered if it's the contacts that's making my eyes water or something else. I don't cry too easily, I've gotten used to sad moments and heartbreaks. But it's relieving to know that I still can, at least I'm still human.

Back to my desk, where there are loads of broken toys and disassembled parts. There's a wooden music box wherein I've only got the parts with the actual music box and the tiny ferris wheel attached to it. It's old and rusty so usually when I try to play it, it's a bit off-key.

After I got bored, I sat on my bed and turned the television on. I watched some news and then later, a few movies that I have watched before. I would do the laundry for the week if I wasn't lazy at the moment. Plus, it just started raining very lightly as if the season isn't cold enough but what do I care? I'm warm in my own home.

Simply another boring day.

Until, well, a knock was heard from my lying door.

I walked near my stairs and lied on my belly as I opened the horizontal door. Opening to 90º, I locked it to that wide open position as I saw Taylor standing on one of the steps. She's holding two cups of coffee with her bag slung at one of her shoulders.

"Should I give you the key to this door as well?" I asked though it doesn't have a key. It can only be opened from here, on the inside.

She smiled, looking up at me. Her curly hair had few droplets of water in them which reminded me of the sleet outside. "Aren't you going to invite me in?"

"Come up," I said and stood up. She walked up the steps and once she does, she looked around my room. "You're from work?" I asked.

She nodded, "Yeah, and I gotta take a trip to uh, Montreal this weekend. For some reasons."

"Pretty cold out there this time of the year," I said.

"My boss would send me to the middle of the the Atlantic if he needed me to," she said. "Oh were you watching?"