Twenty-Eight

The next morning, Franco was nowhere to be found. I took his car home last night as I was less drunk and I know he had gone somewhere else with a girl whereas I just got a few drinks without the thoughts of fooling around.

Gran and I conversed a bit during the morning, mostly about Franco.

"That brother of yours never changed." A bright smile was on her face. I nodded with a smile as I kept munching through the waffles. "But you did."

I swallowed and took a few sips of coffee. Gran unfortunately had a creamy cup of coffee prepared to me thinking I still liked it but I wasn't about to say otherwise.

I licked my lips first, "Thanks?"

I wasn't entirely sure how to reply as I didn't know if that statement was a compliment or not. Though knowing granny, I'd think her intentions are lovely as ever.

"You always cut your hair nowadays," she pointed out leading me to laugh.

I pulled a few locks and entwined them in between my fingers. "Which reminds me to get my hair cut when I get back home." I made a mental note to do it once I get home. I think I have a lot of things to do back home.

"Does Franco know how to come back here without his car?" Gran asked.

"I honestly got no idea," I replied. "But gran, would you mind if I got out of here before he comes around? He might convince me to go to another club tonight."

"You're leaving?" She asked, sounding quite disappointed.

"I'll come visit some other time," I assured her. "Besides, I would surely visit. Taylor would know I came here and she can convince me far better than Franco can."

She nodded, "Okay. But you stay out of trouble in America. I'll know whatever you do. I have Cara."

"Of course."

The thing about goodbyes within the family is, it was never dramatic. Welcomes are grand but goodbyes are not. It's a part of the unspoken truth that if you leave, no one will weep but if you come back, expect a massive heart attack. That is mostly the motto, apart from when you die, in that case, they'll weep.

Once I've had my things in order, I took a couple of pictures around the place, especially the part near the pond.

Leaving the place wasn't too hard, leaving gran alone was a tad bit harder. She assured me she'll be fine though.

I was not looking forward to cut my trip short, but Franco would definitely ask for a second night with him. One night of drinks is enough for me every once in a while.

I made sure everything was in order before I got back home to America.

Walking into my shop, and back to my own bedroom, I felt the hours of tiredness taking over me. Before I knew it, my consciousness was out.

I remember the flight hours, I remember my long wait in the backseat of a taxi. I had dropped my luggage somewhere along my room and sunk on my bed.

The busy people and noisy streets, the buildings shadowing over the sidewalks and the cars racing over each other, honking horns  and such. It was in pure contrast to the life I used to have in gran's place. But this is now and all the rest I can do is deal with it.

After waking up, I took a long shower and made my way to the cafe, two doors to the left and as fortunate as I was, it was Keith's shift.

"Keith, give me the usuals, please," I said, almost leaning on the counter as the tiredness is still washed up on me.