Forty-Two

The past few days were full of kids, pranks, interrupted kisses, and toys all around the house. It's because of the bounty of children running around with Darwin and Franco acting like the child adults they can be when they're not in their offices. Vienne and Quentin were as usual, silent and spend most of the time in the confines of their own rooms. Whereas the rest do whatever they want. Franco was every bit more annoying than he usually is as he keeps on insisting that I spoil Taylor to death. I'll do it, I just won't do it the way he does it.

The reunion is coming and frankly, my mindset on it still hasn't changed. It's already Christmas eve, the night of the whole event. . . Still as dull as ever.

"I still don't think I want to go," I said, looking into the mirror and seeing me in that ridiculous black and white suit.

Taylor laughed, taking a red tie. She put it around my neck, under my collar and started tying it. I looked at her, perking an eyebrow.

"Shut up, you look great," she said, ignoring the fact that I was looking at her in the most obvious way. "If I were you, insecurity would be the last thing on my mind." She messed up with the tie and repeated it all over again.

I've no idea why she inferred that I was insecure but I dared not to comment on that.

"Then, it's a good thing you are not me."

She pulled on the necktie tightly, glaring at me so it was messed up once more but neither of us were paying too much attention to it. "Compliments are compliments, Harry. I know you hate these kind of things but since I've been here, I've only noticed the friendly atmosphere, quite duller than my family's style, I have to admit but that's normal. And I told you, I'll be there the entire time."

Her honesty was every but striking so the words never flown out from my tongue. Instead, a light smile came along and she returned it.

Giving the tie another go, she sighed and spoke, "Besides, really, you look gorgeous." She gave me a light kiss and then continued with the tie -which I never even asked her to do, she just did it.

For the occasion, Taylor straightened and tied her hair up neatly at the back of her head, no tendrils, no loose bangs, the golden blonde locks seemed to be in proper order. Her hair is the neatest I've ever seen. According to the motif of green and red, she wore a red dress, a bit sparkly at the skirt part paired along with stilettos. It had been Franco's idea for me to buy her those pair since he said if I don't do it, he will. Apparently he's got different ideas of having a girlfriend most certainly because he never had a serious one.

"There." A small smile of victory lit up Taylor's face after she tied it successfully then turned away, mumbling something about how the food will be extravagant tonight.

"Taylor," I called so she turned her head to face me. "Just in case I won't get a chance tonight. . ., you look beautiful."

She smiled again. "Thanks." She sat on her bed and as I was fixing the tie for just a bit, her phone rang. I looked at her from the reflection in the mirror. I saw her scoff and she declined the call. Her phone started ringing again.

"Who was it?" I asked, walking towards her.

"Scott," she answered then right after, her face lit up. "Would you like to talk to him? I mean, you know, tell him to lay off?"

"I trust you told it yourself."

"Yeah, but that's the point, he doesn't listen. The last time I answered his call, God forbid that was the only time, I answered his call and - what the heck?!" She yelled the last part and declined the call again as it just started ringing mid-sentence. It was silent again so she continued, "He told me he doesn't even remember breaking up with me."