Chapter Eighteen

A sudden cough erupted the silence, and (Name) inwardly groaned for the fifth time. They all had finished their conversation on the plans and details, and were now getting prepared. And by all, what that really meant was her parents suiting her up with armor and shields for safety to the point where she had trouble moving. Fortunately, Aizawa was quick to remove it saying it'd be too suspicious, and instead ordered her to wear a thin bullet-proof vest atop her shirt, though covered by a zip-up hoodie.

She decided not to wonder if the Villains even had guns for her own sake.

Despite it all, her parents still tried to do little things for her here and there, like helping her place on the vest. She got that they were trying to make up for lost time, but the awkward attempts at conversation was a bit much.

"So... (Name), how's school?"

"Okay I guess."

"Really? Make any friends?"

"Dad, I'm home-schooled."

"...Oh."

Silence.

This was the third time in a row her mother messed up tightening the vest properly, and (Name) was on the verge of groaning out loud. Another cough, and her father attempted it again.

"...Are you sure you don't have friends? I mean, you seem to know about the boy we're suppose to be saving."

He left out how she spoke of another boy during the planning room purposely. (Name) made a face, but shrugged in response.

"I helped Aizawa-san with his class a few times."

Her dad looked impressed with the answer.

"Really? Did you excel that much?"

She really didn't want to speak about school-life right now. Visibly unsettled by the tightness of the vest, she was quick to move away from her mother, who hands froze at the action.

"I know it's my first time going out in the field, but please don't go overboard with this. The vest doesn't have to be this tight!"

The adults looked at her as she quickly fumbled to loosen the vest. Once gaining proper breathing room, she exhaled. She so dearly needed that. The couple side-eyed one another, feeling rather awkward to say much else. Though apologetic, she spoke up nonetheless.

"Look, I'm sorry. I know you guys want to make up for lost time, but forcing it won't help at all. I just-"

A sigh, and the teen was rubbing at her temple. She was stressed about this situation. A lot of things were riding of this. The safety of Midoriya, herself, and possibly the city. Hell, Bakugou as well. She didn't even know if defeating the Scrounge would stop the side-effects. What's more, her Uncle couldn't do much about Bakugou's coma, as she had no blood-related connection to help him with. Her father's side-effects for his Quirk when enhanced was a mystery of its self.

"..I just...need some time alone, okay? To...think."

She just wanted to get this over with, have her friends be okay and go one with her life. She was tired of being the cause for why everything was happening. Why Bakugou, Midoriya, and her parents were being hurt right now.

....She was starting to think that guy from all that time ago was right.

"Honey,"

(Name) tensed when feeling a grip on her arms, only to relax once seeing her mother's face.

"It's okay. You're carrying way too much on your shoulders."

(Stuff me and your father never wanted you to carry.)