Chapter Twenty Three

srry for the wait, yall. tis a shorty chap, but at least i'm postin'

She felt nothing.

Ever since the door shut in her face. Ever since she heard the screams. Ever since she saw the sad smile. Her face filled with emotion just went...blank.

A strong hand was on the middle of her back, guiding her elsewhere. And her legs dragged along. She did not want to stay there. She wanted to be nowhere near where her friend had perished. But no matter how much she wished to get away, denying reality, she couldn't keep her eyes off the door. The look in her eyes from before had remained. A look of terror.

A sudden jerk of her arm stopped her briefly, causing her to look up at her captor. He was staring at her. He didn't speak, but he was frowning. She knew it wasn't over what happened. No, he was too sick to even care about his recent murder.

"Look at that," he began. "You have streaks on your cheeks."

Dried up tears is what he was referring too. He reached his hand out, roughly taking a hold of her face. She wasn't filled with disgust of him touching her. She wasn't filled with rage at him either.

No.. What just happened opened her eyes.

She was absolutely horrified of this man. Her body was shaking with terror, and her lip could not stop quivering. He took delight in this state, noted by his smirk.

"That feeling you're feeling now..." 

The man leaned in closer, licking his lips in a way that sent shivers down her spine. She shut her eyes closed, turning her head away. But he did not like that. The grip on her chin tightened, causing her to gasp out. He forced her head back forward, staring into her watering eyes.

"That feeling... Is called realization."

He did not need to say much else. Realization. She finally realized what she was dealing with. And he was getting a kick out of it. He liked when others would tremble and scramble below him. He loved it. He loved watching all hope and faith leave them completely. Hitting them hard until there was nothing left.

He let go of her, forcing her body onto the ground from how he threw her. Collapsing, she reached at her chin with caution. Her jaw felt sore and there was surely cuts or bruises where his nails dug in. 

"If I were you, I would not be scared now."

He was looking down on her, watching as she collected herself. She felt small and helpless under his gaze.

"Your fate is destined to be worse than the boy's."

She needed to get out of here.

But with her one motivation gone, she was unsure what to do. She did not even know if anyone was coming. She couldn't fulfill her one job. She was...

Was she useless? For her not to even keep her own promise... Was she useless?

This man did not seem to think so. Yet all the same, her whole life she was told that she was. 

"Get up."

A sudden blow to her ribs knocked the air out her lungs, coughing up blood as she fell down once more. The pain that lingered was burning, but he did not seem to care. She looked up at him with a cold gaze, ignoring how she trembled on the ground. He seemed to smile at that.