Chapter Twenty Seven

note: short, messy, and crappy but important. rejoice!

His name was Steve Cobbleston. Odd name, he knows. But other than the Scrounge, everyone refers to him as 'Mr. C'.

He is often seen as a butler.

Caretaker.

Nanny.

Someone who gets in the way.

Someone who is compassionate.

Someone who only lives to serve for his job.

Someone who only does his job to live.

He was someone that thrown out morals for his own selfish needs. That, he can agree and tell you. All of these sayings and rumors others had spoke about him are true. He was all of those things, and because of that, he was the worse kind of being.

He threw away his own morals to save his own skin. His own life. It was the coward's way, and honestly he felt sick with himself because of it. But he could not allow himself to die, you see. And it was tied in deeply with his cowardly ways.

With his deal. With the Scrounge. His motives, their motives. All of it.

Otherwise he would have thrown in the towel the second that young boy was kidnapped. But he made a choice to save his skin instead of someone innocent. He did not do it because of his family, but at the same time it was. His family was dead. But he went along with the Scrounge with promised information about something he desired. He owed it to him. He owed the Scrounge.

But God knows what happened to that child now because of his actions. Only God knows. And God knows he is to burn in hell for all eternity if anything happened to that child.

A sigh escaped the man, who looked to be in his late years. Though elderly on the outside, he seemed to be very capable physically of a fight. That is, of course, how he proved himself to those blasted villains that littered the area. But he again put up with it for the Scrounge. Same with what he was doing now.

"Earlier, you have called me of a mess made in the old grinder... I do wonder what happened this time, sire."

The grinder had been inactive for over ten years. It stopped picking up business around the time the 'fated duo' entered a vegetable state. He remembered back when it was young and lively. Sure certain machines could work, with the proper fixes, but what kind of mess was to be made of this area?

The butler eased his way inside, having mopped up the stains of blood that rested on the corridor towards the grinder. He remember moving the body of the girl from here. But why had it led to the grinder? Perhaps something occurred?

The gears for the grinder should not be active. Couldn't have been. Now, unless his master had this secretly fixed then.. That'd be a different story.

"...?"

His eyes observed the scene before him. The grinder had definitely been active, but it was not active currently. He could tell from how certain meats looked fresh. He had been keeping tabs on the takeouts, and no one ordered new meat. Perhaps the olden ones were being chopped up?

But why so? And why did the blood-stains lead him here? The girl's injuries weren't that severe, and he surely would not hurt her much too soon. But then the words given when he asked about the other child was..

No. He mustn't question his order. He is to tidy up the place. And find out what was wrong with the grinder. It was making such a jagged sound, as if it was clogged up with something..