Chapter Twenty-One - Lessons

Waking up for the first time in a brand new room, in a brand new city and with people that you've not seen in a long time is definitely an odd feeling.

I lifted myself from the window seat where I had finally managed to occur a light slumber, making my way over to my dresser to search for a suitable outfit. A simple dark purple leather skirt, black lace leggings, black laced up tube top and my purple leather jacket- simple. I don't know why princess' take so damn long in the mornings, with a quick spell, my unruly mess of black and purple hair was sleekly tamed and light waves fell across my shoulders and down my back.

"Oh, you're already up Sis" Mal exclaimed as she lent herself up with her pillows, I merely rolled my eyes at the nickname she called me and slipped into my worn leather boots. My gloves and locket were already on due to the fact that I simply never take them off, firstly Mal would go mental at my bruised and scraped knuckles and that I was wearing a pirate locket- owned by her ex-boyfriend from the aisle. I'd like to decrease the amount of possible interaction about my life; especially with my sister.

"Ready for your first ever lesson, Mel?" Evie questioned from the other side of her room before sucking in her cheekbones and applying a thin layer of highlighter? That's about as far as my makeup knowledge goes.
"Yeah, I just can't wait to be told how dumb I am" I murmured and once I had finished getting ready, I walked back over to the window seat for one last glance out to my home before I almost completely abandon it.

"It's gonna be okay, I mean, I'm sorry that I am unable to be with you for the majority of the day but you've got Evie" My sister explained, still making excuses for her poor job of being my elder sibling. Then again, I was fine, I didn't need her babysitting me- why would I even be in her lessons? I am a year younger than the other Vk's, but I guess they couldn't be bothered seeing that I grew up on the isle they just threw me in with the others like me- gosh I feel so loved!

Once I had waited at least 50 minutes for Evie to finished her hair and makeup, ready to meet up with her dopey boyfriend, I was dragged out of the dorm to start my first day.
"Hey! Evie" A voice called from behind us and I could already recognize it as her dwarf mate. Not wishing to engage in a conversation, I spun around on my heels and made my way across the deep red halls alone. School can't be that hard right? Just like in the old school movies I once watched; Harry and I once found a broken projector back on the isle. Though it was ultimately broken beyond much repair and the broken glass screen on the front was to cause only half a screen to illuminate- we still managed to kick some life into the old thing and got a new bulb. The fractured brick walls against the coastal slums glowed with moving pictures of young adults pretending to be sophomores and ruled over the school like royals. I can remember the excitement that fuelled my blood, positivity flowing around my body as Harry and I brought it back to his quarters and watched film after film, wrapped under one of his duvets until dawn broke and we were called on by Uma...
"Hey? Melanie right?" A princess with dark brown curls and a light blue dress called from behind me; snapping me from my daydream.

"What?" I snapped, twisting my body around so that now I was completely facing her. Her face softened into a surprised glance before twisting with fear as it hit her that I was glaring directly towards her. I lifted up my arms to mid shoulder length as if to ask again, trying to speed up the process - I just wanted to leave this conversation already.
"E-erm, Mom is waiting in the first hall for your remedial goodness therapy, Evie is already there." She explained quickly, gesturing to a small open room, lined with dark desks and at the front was a large, deep green chalkboard. The walls held almost all of its light due to the number of open windows as if the natural light would turn me into a brand new character. Ya gonna need a bit more than that, love. I'm not planning on changing too soon.

"Melanie! Come on, you're already late for class!" Evie rushed out of the room that I was currently studying and began to walk me towards it.
"I'm good thanks, E" I started, laying way too much emphasis on the 'E' and tried to walk in the opposite direction when she piped up once more.
"I'm afraid classes aren't optional, M" Evie retorted coping me with the nickname, just like she does with my sister.

Hoping not to draw any more unwanted attention- cause, of course, being the new kid from the Isle doesn't? I strutted into the almost empty room and straight to a desk along the right side, sitting on the uncomfortable wooden chair and lent my elbows on the rough, graffitied desk.

On the chalkboard at the far centre of the room was a well-written question, I can barely string out a sentence.
"Thank you, for finally welcoming us with your presence" Fairy godmother began, one arm held against the board and the other laying lazily gesturing to me as she spoke, I acknowledged her words with an acute nod before running an already disinterested palm through my hair.
Next to me, Evie sat delicately on the chair and sat up, as if she was excited about the first lesson back on a Monday- and it wasn't even her lesson! She was only here for me and she still showed untold interest, how does she do it?

"Okay, first question Melanie, we'll start off easy!" A rosy smile erupted across Fairy Godmother's features as she picked up what looked like a minute cue stick and pointed at the words to the side of her.
"Lying on the ground is a very dangerous, very illegal weapon. Do you:
A) Pick it up and use it on the first person you see
B) Hand it into the local authority's
C) Keep it for later"
She began to speak, asking me to answer the question for her with what I guess what you are supposed to do.
"Well using it on the first person you see would be pointless, wasting the opportunity that you have been given, along with B, So I'm going to go with C" I thought aloud, answering her question with what I already knew was the wrong answer but it's fun to see the teacher all riled up, right?

Evie gave me a flash of worry before turning to look at fairy godmother who adopted an identical demeanor. I let out a light laugh at their pettiness before rolling my eyes and leaning back in my seat. Gosh, this could be fun.
"I'm joking, It's B. The most boring clearly" I explained, watching as they breathed a short sigh of relief that they didn't have a psychopath in their midst.

"You do know your sister said the exact same as you" Evie smiled, turning to me, probably recalling the memory.
"Well, I'm not here, so don't try and make me" I simply stated as I faced her, watching her smile quiver before being replaced across her features. Her lips coated in a silky red lipgloss that accentuated her deep blue hair and dress.

"Well then let's keep going!" Fairy Godmother announced, her hands clapping excitedly and pointing at the next question.
——————
Haiiiiii! Anon here x sorry I haven't updated but my 1st round of exams have officially finished and we're about to break up for Christmas so expect more to come! Hopefully you're enjoying the book so far, what's yall's favourite chapter?? Also, who's excited for the return of Harry Hook? Not long to go now until we see our favourite smol pirate ❤️ - Anon xxx