Chapter Thirty-Five - A duel?!

Jacob's POV

Many dismal dawns broke, and sun-downs were slowly surpassed before we heard from Melanie again, we tried looking for her but succeeding nevermore. Her sister's hideouts were many, and all profoundly hidden. One evening, as I strolled my way down a gritted, mudded track towards the marketplace- a mere assignment set by Quinn to grab her some new fabrics, I watched with an unswerving gaze at the blazing waves of red, attempting to peer through the clouds and make their home within the shadows of the isle, displaying how night is almost upon us- prime time for the villains that reside here.

Public squalors and slums outlined the broken pathway of which I walked, each of them attempting to make a days wage by pawning unneeded items to unwitting passers-by. A small gaggle of unknown commoners surrounded one shack; mismatched, ripped bandanas topped each head whilst surely rusting cutlasses slept unused around their waists- waiting for their captains' permission for use.

Being one of the lowest ranking members of a pirate crew can be one of the worst punishments known to man, not having any free will nor voice of your own and having to succumb to your Captain's exact orders without question. Ideally, moving up in within the ranks would be increasingly awarding but, on the Isle,- it's practically unheard of. You cant change the parent you were born to and that's all that matters, petty thieves and common murderers are forever at the bottom of the hierarchy whilst kids of the most wicked villains remain top dog.

As I passed this group of low ranking pirate crew, I couldn't help but catch a glimpse of their reserved conversation;
"Did you hear about Maleficent's daughter?" The scruffiest one questioned the group, causing me to stop and stalk in closer to the pirates
"Shes asked for a parley with Captain Uma, the encounter is going down at midnight."

Melanie has asked for a conference with her old captain? The one who cast her aside and branded her as a traitor among the wicked? She must have some hell of a trick up her sleeve to attempt to pull off some sort of deal with the sea witch, I simply hope she hasn't bitten off more than she can chew.

Melanie's POV

The powerful, bitter air rushed through my hair, blowing it behind my body and sending a chilling shiver down my spine. I was ready for this. No doubt the word of my bold, perfectly planned actions has spread swiftly across the isle as members of opposing crews and low-lives crowded the docks waiting for the queen of the sea herself to arrive. I glanced down at the fragmented cobbled path that flowed out towards the roaring coast, I couldn't ruin these upcoming moments. I've spent weeks meticulously preparing this and rebuilding my traitorous reputation. Finally, the climax of this whole strategy is upon us. Everything hinges on what I do at twilight, and once done it can never be undone. I'm either entirely respected or branded as a defector furthermore. Not only am I doing this for myself, but for those who I were once close to, my ex-best friend, (even though we seem more like enemies than allies) for those who raised me from some of my darkest moment- in a promise to regain their reputation and allow them pathway through the docks once more and nevertheless, for the boy that sheltered me since young. The one I want to be with, I'm doing this for him.

"OUT OF MY WAY, MORONS!" A compelling, heated voice commanded and charged to the front of the overflowing crowd as she stood tall, unfazed, and directly snapping me from my racing apprehension and pulling my mind back into the moment. Uma is waiting for my arrival I allowed a confident smirk to overcome my uneasy features as I rose from my position, now leaning over the diminutive rooftop towards the adequate sea of anxiously waiting pirates.

"Looking for me? Captain," I called out, elaborately placing my ebony pirate hat atop my new violet hair with a bow as I placed one hand on my hip and the other clutching a heavy, half-frayed rope that connected to the arch that stood at the foot of the dock.

"And so she arrives! Are you here to betray the isle again? Or to just sicken us with your royal greatness?" Her voice still held the audacity that her authority needed, however now it was cold, and harsh, as if she was crumbling under the weight of the pressure upon her shoulders was pulling her below the surface.

But before I can save her, I need to save myself.

"Just honoring the deal we made, Captain" I bowed once more, staying composed as I grasped onto the rope with both hands, and lightly stepped off the rooftop. The adrenaline rush was rich, yet abrupt, and when my feet grazed the wooden dock it was gone.

Now, Uma and I were eye to eye and I watched as her tense fawn brown eyes glared back at me. But I can't back down, not now.
"Well, I am here aren't I? Humor me. What futile trick do you have up your sleeve?" Uma huffed, crossing her arms and reaching a palm into the air, beckoning behind her.

I placed a steady hand on the hilt of my cutlass as I watched the smirk appear on her face at my noticeable tick, she knows me, and she knows the way I think, the way that I move. I need to switch it up.

"I challenge you to duel" My voice was now clear and held a level of authority which challenged Umas, lifting my hand from my cutlass to show her that I wasn't afraid. "If I win, I regain my position on your crew, upfront with the Captain and First mate, and I want a pardon for Jacob and his crew, but if you win? I'll leave you alone, you'll never hear from the Maleficent name again." Not allowing my confidence to falter, I placed a hand on my hip and raised my eyebrow, awaiting her answer.

Uma turned, expectantly to the crowd as if she was waiting for me to back down and surrender peacefully and I could just picture the dauntless smirk on her face. Of course, she wasn't afraid, she believed that she would win, however, she doesn't know everything about me anymore, she doesn't know how many days I have locked myself away, practicing and punishing myself for the mistakes of my family. I was more resilient and ready to rebel than ever, and with Uma at my side? Auradon won't know what hit them.

"Fine, but this has to be on my terms." She retaliated, taking a step closer to me and reaching a hand behind her, beckoning, but I kept my eyes locked on hers as my pupils darkened in hue, the magic that manifests within me showing through the now glowing green energy from my eyes.
Boldly lifting one hand in the air, silencing the crowd, Uma announced. "Harry will take my place."

____________

And I'm back! Sorry for the wait and the awful cliffhanger but the writer's block has finally passed and I'm so excited to get back into writing once more!
Who's still enjoying the story?
-Anon xxx