Chapter Twenty-Three - Let me go!

I have to leave. That was the only thing that I could think. It felt as if hundreds of pairs of eyes were all on me, burning holes into my skull, I can't stay here! Not now... Not ever!

The bell had barely rung and I had already found a way to get me kicked out for good, Evie held the most disappointed expression...

Scarlet red blood coated my knuckles, the only remains of what I had done after I ran. I mean, that's what I do best, running. Running away from everyone and placing up walls too high to tear down, too high to climb and too high to get through, only one person has succeeded in that task and he goes by the name Harry Hook.

The halls were empty by now, every student in a lesson so there was nobody to stop me, not even Evie dared to follow after me and god knows where my elder sister is. The only sound I could hear was the thuds of my shoes against the nary blue carpeted stairways, echoing against the dark wooden walls and filling the space with a repetitive reminder of my course.

As soon I reached the door to my dorm room, I hurriedly fetched the brass key from in my pocket and jammed it into the lock, twisting it and bursting into the still sickly pink chamber. Diving under my bed, I clasped my hand around the trunk that was currently holding my pirate coat, cutlass and boots that I hid from my sister.

I allowed my body to return to its normal resting place, placing myself atop of my knees that were bent underneath the rest of my body weight and my wrists dropped lightly against my lap as I stared down at the mahogany box. Criss-crossed planks of wood coated across both ends of the beautiful container and the front was enclosed with a timeworn brass clasp, the edges of which seem to be rubbed and shined so much that it had begun to darken. Growing up on the isle teaches you to treasure these little things, and moments just as these, where silence is your only company and the stillness lulls us into a sense of tranquillity. 

Is there really a place for me now? At home? Is it really my home still? For as much as I love my best friend Uma, she tends to be instantaneous in jumping to conclusions. I should be a traitor to them if I were in their place that would be exactly what I would be thinking but I have nobody to prove my innocence; Gil had already departed from our shared job whilst I opted to take the more scenic route and make my way across the rooftops, oh how I wish I hadn't.

"Melanie?!" A voice called out from the door frame, my body jerked upright in shock that she had come looking for me, not that I'd ever be afraid of her, she just caught me in a moment of weakness, of solitude until it was shattered by the one and only daughter of Maleficent.

"I need to be strong" I whispered under my breath as I attempted to establish the thick walls that I had preemptively let slip and gently run my fingertips underneath my bottom lashes to erase any remains of sorrow that had escaped.

"Leave me alone" I clamoured at my sister, her eyes following my every movement from the threshold to the room, arm cradled around her boyfriend who returned the soppy gesture. I didn't care anymore, I have to get out of this hell, no matter who I have to go through- I will escape.

"What happened? You were spotted running through the castle by yourself." Mal queried, wondering why I had gotten so worked up no doubt, to be honest. I really didn't know either, I never used to get like this and all I did was hit them, it's not like I haven't fatally injured anyone before- not that the two fakers below were in a fatal condition.

"I can't do this Mal, I know you thought I could but I can't" I stated simply, turning back around to pull my belongings out from their place under the bed and slip off my current jacket, ready to swap it for my pirate coat- oh how I have missed this thing, familiar feelings became flooding back to me like a wave crashing into the gabions across a beach.                                           
"Melanie you can't leave! You promised you would stay a week, it's been 4 days." Mal countered
"Yeah, four days too long. You can't stop me Mal, you know you can't, we've always known that I am the stronger of the two"

I slid my palm under the familiar, cool material before pulling it over my right shoulder, tugging the other side and slipping it over my left arm.
"Melanie! I won't let you go! You're not going back to that hell" My sister snapped, getting impatient with me and taking a few steps into the room but I turned my back to her once more as I picked up my belt and cutlass in its sheath, buckling it around my waist. These few days that I have been away feel like months, a cavern of emptiness now sat in my chest, unable to fill it all I can do is feel lost, remember what life was like and remember those who I have lost. Harry, Uma, Gil, I have much likely been disowned from the crew that I gave its own reputation, I am part of the reason why just our names strike fear into those who utter it... And it is entirely Mal's fault.

"It may be a hell, but it is my home. There's nothing you can do to stop me" I exclaimed, bowing my head and placing a light coloured pirate hat atop of my head.
"Mel- What? What are you wearing?" She questioned, pulling away from her boyfriend so that she could get closer to me but I stepped back. She never wanted to know anything about my old life, nothing. All she knew is that I had to find someplace to live after Mom kicked me out but she never cared, I doubt she has a single caring bone in her entire body- and that truly is pure evil.

"You never cared before- why do you now?" I snapped, venom dripping from my tongue as I spoke those last four words, taking a harsh step, my boot forcefully colliding against the carpeted floor with each stride, as I edged closer and closer to the girl in the middle of the bedroom, blocking my path. I watched as her face softened slightly, guilt enveloping her but she brushed it away, she still doesn't care. She might be guilty but she clearly doesn't have a conscience, in her little world everything is perfect.

"You're not getting past me, Melanie. What are you gonna do now?" She smirked, very pleased with herself like a little kid who always got her way, but she was in the middle of my path and it seemed there was only one thing that I could do to get past her- well unless she compromises.

"Move out of my way, Mal." I exclaimed, grabbing the last few of my belongings and some things extra such as money I had pickpocketed from the boy's- it annoyed me how Jay is known as one of the best thieves on the isle so I decided I would prove them wrong and steal from 'the best' himself. Jay didn't even notice.

"Or what?" My sister smirked once more, getting more confident each second she thinks she is in charge, I don't want to hurt her- but I will. Her incessant, overbearing ego is clouding her better judgement.
"I'll do something I'll regret"

I moved to walk past her but she extended her arm so that my path was blocked and it pushed me back,
"Mal, think carefully about what you are doing. You don't wanna mess with me right now" I snapped, pushing my cutlass sheath further back on my hips so it was now resting comfortably.

"And why not?" She smirked, crossing her arms with a little giggle and a huff not totally believing me because; I'm just the little sister right? The big sisters the one in charge, the favourite, the one that Mom adores. Not anymore. I'm not the little sister!

I tightly clenched my fists in an attempt to calm myself down, to get her to reconsider but inevitably, she wouldn't and I soon felt my hand meet the hilt of my cutlass, in an all too recognisable motion and I  slid it out of the sheath. Holding it raised, head height, I drove it towards the figure infront of me as my vison clouded with a rage that could no longer be hidden.

"MAL!" King Ben's voice drummed from behind her as he tried to pull her away but I had already pushed her against the lilac walls, holding her neck mere inches behind my sharp, silver blade.
"Ellie, please, please let her go" His voice spoke again, just above a whimper as he pleaded for his girlfriend's life, but my eyes narrowed, shes ruined my life... I'm forever an outcast now, the girl from the isle or the traitor from Auradon?

But I can't do this.. Mal's my big sister, I grew up with her.

_____________________________________________________

OMG!! Cliff hanger much? >.<

-Anon xx