xxvi.

If she's noticed that Namjoon was missing, the officer made no comment on it. If the chief hadn't been so fond of her, he'd have probably already fired her for her recent absences at work but when he realized who her husband was, he simply kept his mouth shut. The eldest Kim was inside the room while they waited outside, acting as guards. Hoseok already had quite the formidable reputation so most already kept their distance.

"You okay?" He asked after he noticed her fidget with the hem of her shirt for the nth time. It's the glassy, far-away look in her eyes that immediately made him concerned.

Jennie opens her mouth to speak, her thoughts all over the place and words begging to be let out from her mouth but she can't bring herself to speak. Everything was happening too quickly and adaptability was expected in her occupation but being personal with the parties involved was making it harder than she thought it should've been.

[3 hours earlier]

"Does anyone have any questions?"

She couldn't ask because she didn't know what she didn't know. It was dangerous enough to just walk out in broad daylight but for Seokjin to actually reach out and talk to 'someone important', i.e. another one of his illegal contacts, it would've been a death wish. Even if Jennie wasn't particularly attached to him, she knew how important he was to the other girls and if something really did happen... Her sense of responsibility really was pissing her off at this point but if she tries to think if they really are 'good' or 'bad', she can't answer. There isn't such a thing as good and bad, there's no black and white in this world, only pure chaos, only gray and its variations. The woman knew that firsthand.

"Hyung, this is too much." Hoseok said quietly, running a hand through his black locks while the blond smiled mirthlessly. The leader didn't even look at them, only straight at a mirror over their shoulders.

"I don't even care anymore, Seokie." His voice cracked at the long-forgotten nickname. "I just want this over with, okay? I'm reckless. I know that."

As much as she wants to feel sympathetic to him, Jennie can't help but think 'You chose this life, didn't you? You're old enough to know the consequences of your actions.' But simply placing the blame on the 'victim' always had disastrous effects. To stop thinking like this, she decides to think of his plan over again.

He'd talk to his associate (alone) while Yoongi (the guy has always put her on edge, probably because of how he'd acted to Jimin before) would be posted somewhere for his 'task'. The Jung couple would be stationed outside to stand guard. Their escape plan would include getting away in a truck in Min's name and rounding up the maknaes as they had unfortunately found out that Jisoo was missing, her tracker off the radar completely. Her fiance made a quiet remark of finding her himself but Seokjin ignored him completely, making her only bite her lip in response.

She could've said a thousand other things, she could've kept her mouth shut but when she wanted to be silent, her voice rang out loud and clear.

"Is she still missing?"

The eldest buried his face in his hands and got comforted by her husband. From the corner of her eye, Yoongi was smirking.

[bACk To ReALItY]

A gunshot. And then another.

Jennie cracks a wry smile. "Does that answer your question?"

Hoseok looks over his shoulder to peek at the small opening of the door and see his hyung jump out the window. He immediately puts an arm around her shoulders, grabs his own Rhino and push past the crowd that's started to come out of their cubicles to inspect the noise.

"Gunshots are lullabies to the BB family, love." He peers down on her as he helps her down the fire escape and feels a whizzing bullet miss his shoulder by a hair. He scoffs but before he could shoot in retaliation, his attacker drops down 18 storeys below with 4 gunshots. His raised eyebrow at her only makes Jennie drag him, gritting her teeth that she's directly going against the government for her husband.

"Family, huh?" The lady repeats the word before jumping off and landing on some trash bags, grabbing a wall to balance herself. The superhero landing really does a number on your knees, she thought miserably.

The black-haired man puts a black trench coat over her shoulders and holds her hand, making them look like a normal couple on a stroll as they walk away from the building to arrive at the meeting place.

"Families are dysfunctional. They'll want to tear at each other's throats constantly, but at the end of the day, we're the only ones we have left. I guess you can say we love each other. And we'd do anything to avenge each other. Loyalty to them is my highest priority." It didn't take too much effort to discern the pride and fondness in his voice, thinking of the men he's come to think of as his family. In a way, he was right and she'd agree to his definition.

Then he looks at her with the same soft eyes and she feels like the same nervous girl on her way to the aisle that fateful day years ago.

"Well," Hoseok pauses. "After you, of course. I missed a lot of time being with you, Jennie-ah. After all this, can we just start over?"

She doesn't know if she really loves him, if it's the title or just plain determination to reach the end with him but her hand squeezes his and it only makes him smile even more. The smile that made her so endearing to him was back on her face and he feels like the luckiest man on earth.

Yoongi doesn't even raise an eyebrow when they enter the car and Seokjin is laying down passed out with a bunch of food and beverages surrounding him in a ritualistic manner. They're informed that he was just exhausted and take a seat.

"Still in your honeymoon phase?" The platinum blond sneers playfully.

Hoseok only sneers back, wrapping an arm around her waist. "Jealous that you can't be like this with Jisoo?"

The older man snorts. "No respect. Jisoo and I were couple goals; you all wanted to have a relationship like ours."

"Were."

Somehow, the black-haired man isn't afraid of roasting his hyung, especially if Jennie's right there to support him. While he glowers at her, Hoseok couldn't help but feel even happier.