one;

____________________

"Are you going to be alright for the next two months?"

I glance away from the window, my gaze landing on Nichole. She's uncomfortably pregnant and referring to her maternity leave.

"You know that you can talk to someone else on campus if you need to," she adds quickly.

I put on my best smile in hopes of reassuring her. "I'll be fine," I tell her, but my voice cracks at the last second, giving away my uncertainty.

Nichole has been my therapist since I first came to Denver University a year ago, and although I know I'll need the support, it's too exhausting to have to explain everything over again to a new person. Not to mention the anxiety it would most likely bring with it.

As if reading my mind, her expression softens. "I'll write down a few names for you just in case." She grabs a pen from the desk and scribbles furiously over a pad of paper, almost as though she's afraid if she doesn't get the names down fast enough that I'll refuse. I don't blame her for it, a year ago I just might have done that. "Here you go," she says, thrusting out a piece of paper at me. I take it and stuff it into the front pocket of my book bag without bothering to read over it.

"This is going to be a good thing for you Mabel." Nichole pushes her blonde bangs from her face and glances at the thermostat. I don't have the heart to tell her that it's already freezing in here, so I just wrap my hoodie tighter around myself.

"Would it be selfish if I ask you to stay?" I ask with a half-hearted laugh.

Her warm brown eyes return to my face and a sad smile tugs one side of her mouth up. "No Mabel," she murmurs gently, reaching out to touch my arm. "In fact, I'm happy you're voicing your needs. It's proof that we've made progress."

I can't hold back the dry laugh that erupts from my chest. "If you say so."

I know deep down that she's right. When I came to here as a freshman I was completely unsure of myself and terrified of the world. Terrified that someone would be like him. I was skipping classes, staying locked up in my dorm room twenty-four-seven, and ridiculously close to becoming a complete shut-in. Things haven't gotten much better, but I make it to all of my classes and participate when called upon, and I've even made a few friends. The fear is still there, but it doesn't surface nearly as often as it used to.