thirty-two;

____________________

"I love you."

I stiffen in surprise, her words causing my chest to tighten and my heart to hammer erratically against my ribs. I've been waiting what feel like fucking forever to hear those words leave her lips, and I'm blowing it. My reply is caught in my throat, unable to be voiced. 

What the fuck?

Mabel lifts her head, pulling away from me and holding the sheets to her chest. She's reading my silence as more than it is as she stares back at me with her widened green eyes. "S-sorry, I didn't mean it. I don't know where that came from."

Sometimes people can misinterpret their feelings after sex, or so I've heard, and mistake it for love. Raised levels of oxytocin or some shit like that. Her words hurt like she's driving a knife deep into my chest, but I manage to force a tight lipped smile.

"Mabes..." I trail off, reaching for her.

She shakes her head, swinging her legs over the edge of the bed. "It's fine. I'm gonna use the bathroom. Just forget I said anything."

If I say anything now it won't mean anything. She won't believe me.

Mabel makes her way over to my dresser and pulls out one of my t-shirts, sliding it over her head.

Why am I such a fucking idiot?

She doesn't look back at me again as she makes her way across the room to open the bedroom door. She pauses in the doorway momentarily, her shoulders drooping with what I assume to be a heavy sigh, and then continues across the hall to the bathroom.

Saying those three little words to Mabel isn't going to be my first time saying them to a woman, but it's the first time that I mean them. I can't help but wonder if that's the reason I choked up. Maybe it had been a bad idea to wait for her to say it first. Maybe I should've told her as soon as I knew.

I drag a hand roughly over my face with a groan.
Mabel enters the room again, shutting the door softly behind herself. She keeps her head down but I can tell that her eyes are still glistening from tears.