twenty-two;

____________________

The airport is packed with holiday travelers when I drop Mabel off

The airport is packed with holiday travelers when I drop Mabel off. She insists on just dropping her at the door, but I still help her get her luggage out from the back of the truck.

"I'll be back a week before school starts up again," she says, leaning back on her heels. "You're not flying out until Tuesday, right?"

I nod. "Coach wants to get in another practice, and by that he probably means lecture."

"Well good luck, and travel safe." She stretches up on her toes to brush her lips against my cheek, but I'm not letting her get away that easily.

I slip a hand under the back of her coat, laying my palm flat against her warm skin, and tug her closer so our chests touch.

"Be safe." I kiss her cheek, repeating what she had done to me. "Let me know when you land."

Mabel sighs contentedly and I move my lips so they hover over hers.

"I'll talk to you as much as I can."

"Same," she whispers back.

Her eyes begin to water, and because I can't stand to see her cry, I close my eyes and finally press my mouth to hers. Mabel's carry-on drops from her shoulder, landing on the ground with a soft thud.
The urge to say those three little words rises within me, squeezing my chest, but I can't. Not yet. So instead, I pour every ounce of feeling into our kiss.
I thread my fingers in her hair and gently nibble on her lower lip. We only break apart when someone whistles in our direction.

Mabel steps back, her cheeks flushed as she reaches down for her backpack. "I'll see you later," she mumbles, fiddling with the straps of her bag.

I press my lips to her forehead gently. "I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too," she murmurs back.

I stay by the truck, leaning against the front bumper, until I can no longer see her through the glass doors.