thirteen;

____________________

"Yes mother, a girl," I say for the umpteenth time

"Yes mother, a girl," I say for the umpteenth time. Explaining to my mother that I've invited Mabel to join us for thanksgiving is exasperating.

"You're not just saying that to cover for that boy Lucas, right?" she asks, her motherly suspicion ringing clear even through the phone. "You know how uncomfortable he made your sister feel."

"No," I insist, running my palm over my face. "I'm bringing a date. I was calling to make sure that that's okay."

"You don't date," she replies matter of factly. "I swear between you and Lizzie I'm never going to be blessed with grandchildren."

Here we go again. I need to steer this conversation in a new direction and fast.

"So have you packed everything you need for the week yet?" I ask, hoping to change the subject.

There's a slight pause, and I can tell she's contemplating whether or not to give in.

"Alexander James," she chastises, clicking her tongue. "Don't think for one second that I don't know what you're doing. Now tell me about this girl."

"Please don't make a big deal about this," I groan.

"I won't, but you should at least be telling me her name."

"Mabel. Her name is Mabel."

"What a pretty name," she replies wistfully. "How did you two meet?"

I bite back the grin that threatens to take over my face. Somehow, I don't believe that my mother would approve of my gambling, so I offer up a half lie. "We have a biology lab together. We're lab partners."

"Oh how romantic," she swoons. "She's a smart girl then?"

"Fuck yeah. The smartest."

"Watch your language, Alexander." But there's humor in her tone. "I can't wait to meet her, she sounds like a lovely girl. And I'm happy you're finally joining the dating scene."