ten;

____________________

"You and Alex seem to be getting closer," Hazel says from the bathroom

It's Saturday night, the night of the "victory" party, and Hazel is applying makeup and doing her hair at the sink while I flip through the latest chapter we went over in my English class.

"We're just friends," I remind her, shaking my head even though she can't see me.

"Are you trying to tell me you won't get jealous if somebody hits on him while we're at the party?"

I pause, my highlighter still pressed against the page. I hadn't even thought about how it would make me feel to see other girls hanging on Alex. I've dealt with women looking at him when we walk through campus together, but I haven't been around when they get handsy.

"What do you mean?"

Hazel pokes her head into the hall with narrowed eyes. "I mean if you have feeling for the guy you need to tell him."

Feelings for Alex? Do I? It sounds strange to me, even in my head. Since the day we skipped classes to go ice skating and I owned up about my past things have felt a little more intimate between us. Alex finds more reasons to touch me, and I don't just mean playing with my hair like he usually does. He touches my waist, lower back, or my leg when we're around each other. But I haven't had many guy friends to know if that's just a normal thing to do, and Alex already admitted that he hasn't had any platonic relationships with the female sex either.

Hazel becomes aggravated by my sudden silence. "Well, do you have feelings for him?"

I suck my lower lip between my teeth, afraid to answer. After another short pause I say, "Alex is great. He's always making me laugh, he's unbelievably smart and pushes me to do better in my classes, and of course he's handsome as hell, but..."

"But?"

"How do I know that he cares about me more than a friend?" The question leaves me feeling exposed, and I want nothing more than to curl up into a tight ball and hide from the embarrassment.