fifteen;

____________________

I'm ecstatic that my family hasn't scared Mabel off so far and that everyone seems to be enjoying each other's company

I'm ecstatic that my family hasn't scared Mabel off so far and that everyone seems to be enjoying each other's company. The five of us sit at the long dining table with the succulent food placed in the center. My mother seems to have gone all out this year, and I'm sure it has something to do with having a guest. And not just any guest. A girl. I wouldn't be surprised if my mother had already planned our engagement.

Mabel sits beside me at the table completely at ease as she exchanges small talk with my family. I can tell they approve, and for some reason it makes my heart swell with pride. I want them to be able to see everything that I do in her.

When it's time for desert, my mother manages to break the easy going vibe that was happening during dinner.

"So Mabel, where are you from?" My mother asks as she dishes out a serving of pumpkin pie for herself.

Mabel takes the dish and gets a slice for herself before passing it to me. "Um, Michigan. I lived in Grand Rapids."

"What about your family? What do they do?" The question is innocent enough, and I know that my mother's intentions are pure, but I still notice the way Mabel visibly stiffens beside me.

She clears her throat quietly. "My dad is a cop. My mom passed away when I was born."

"That's very sad to hear, I'm sorry honey," my mother tells her sympathetically, her eyes shooting to me to give me an accusing glare. I know what she's saying immediately without her even having to speak. Why didn't you tell me?

"Are you close with your dad then?" Lizzie asks between bites of pumpkin pie.

"Lizzie," I warn, shaking my head at her. I lower one of my hands beneath the table to place it on Mabel's knee, giving it a reassuring squeeze.

"Oh stop Alex, your sister is only asking a question," my mother chastises.

"It's okay," Mabel whispers to me. And then addressing my sister, "No, we're not close. Quite the opposite actually. But I've recently gotten in touch with my mother's sister, so I'm close to that side of the family now."